Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO - Tips for bowhunting turkey.

Smarter than I look

User Info Menu

Default ISO - Tips for bowhunting turkey.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I plan to bow hunt for turkey, for the first time.

I know that the range can be a difficult factor in getting a shot off, especially a humane shot in some cases.

Does anyone have any tips for a successful turkey hunt using my compound? (preferred broad heads, body shot vs head shot, distance, etc)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Set your decoys up at 15 yards throw a stick out at 20 another at 30 this will give you a reference point for when the turkeys coming close and you get excited you Will know how far the turkey is away

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

head shot with the guillotine blades.you either get him or you don't.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    head shot with the guillotine blades.you either get him or you don't.
    From our very own member.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfaO8hvn1U8
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

turkey hunting in Ontario podcast : https://ontariooutdoorpursuit.podbea...7-turkey-talk/
    Know where the vital layout is, figure out if you want to a head lobber broadhead or a more standard boradhead (dictates placement of shot), figure out if you're gonna be doing spot and stalks or sitting/blind hunting. Most honest piece of advice I can give is know when to draw your bow because of their eyesight. cheers!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I find the guillotine broad heads are hard to tune. I think the magnus heads fly way better without buying a longer arrow. The pros of going for the neck and head are simple like mentioned before, you hit the head and that bird is dead. IMO I like body shots, but you have to be confident in your shooting. If you break wings and or legs that bird cant go anywhere. but theres a down side, if you don't hit your mark that bird will run and you might risk not finding it. watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6blN4_l00b0
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Learn the birds your hunting!! Keep still and keep at it!! Good Luck

Oh and by the way.. I used the rage Turkey broad head and they work great!
    "No one's interested in something you didn't do"

Smarter than I look

User Info Menu

I have some Torrid SS expandable broad heads.

I like the sounds of the decoys at 10, and a stick or two to gauge 20 and 30. I can hit up to 40/50 yards with field points pretty accurate. But I'd like to keep it closer for turkey. Mostly due to the vitals. I won't be using guillotine for headshots... I'd rather go for a vital I think. Though that youtube video of the decap was amazing lol. Great shot.

Thank you everyone. More info the better

Apprentice

User Info Menu

if your going to body shoot them I suggest lighting up your arrow and dropping the poundage on your bow to reduce kinetic energy and lessen the chance of a pass through. they can't fly away if the arrow is still inside of them and they become way easier to track

Dan

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    If you break wings and or legs that bird cant go anywhere. but theres a down side, if you don't hit your mark that bird will run and you might risk not finding it. watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6blN4_l00b0
    I once had a body shot that hit the thigh and the Tom took to flight with my arrow stuck in him...watched $25 of equipment fly away....LOL....

Good video....like the options presented. I stick to head/neck shots....don't like guessing where the vitals are under all those feather when they're in full strut.
    Last edited by MikePal; March 14th, 2018 at 09:58 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast