Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO - Tips for bowhunting turkey.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

ADVERTISEMENT
    A turkey's body vital zone is small, and located up high. The body's position/stance/angle, especially on a strutting bird, makes arrow placement estimation difficult. So, the margin for error for a body shot is high. Practice, and stick to head/neck shots. It's not difficult, and it will avoid lots of potential trouble.
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Smarter than I look

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G.S. View Post
    A turkey's body vital zone is small, and located up high. The body's position/stance/angle, especially on a strutting bird, makes arrow placement estimation difficult. So, the margin for error for a body shot is high. Practice, and stick to head/neck shots. It's not difficult, and it will avoid lots of potential trouble.
    You're right, it's absolutely high and seems easiest to follow the direction of its neck to determine placement. But it can be hard. Perhaps I'll buy some guillotine broad heads so I can make that choice down the road.
    ---

Owner / Director
    Niteowl Creative Inc.

Hidden Content

Smarter than I look

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G.S. View Post
    You're right, it's absolutely high and seems easiest to follow the direction of its neck to determine placement. But it can be hard. Perhaps I'll buy some guillotine broad heads so I can make that choice down the road.
    ---

Owner / Director
    Niteowl Creative Inc.

Hidden Content

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I use a crossbow & the only BH I will use is a magnus bullhead. When you connect there is no tracking required. If you miss then the bird walks away to live another day...
    last season I missed with my first shot. The bird didn't even flinch. I reloaded in the blind & nailed it with the second shot....

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I've killed some and missed lots and my advice for new guys is to use a blind and keep your decoys close. I learned more in 2 years hunting from a blind than the previous 5 years using my gun. Also if you can't hit a tennis ball every time then stick to your shotgun. As for shot placement there is a lot of good info out there. TC

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

If using a broad head.i like to shoot for the spine between the wings close to the neck when the bird is facing away from me

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

LOL I know what your saying but just because you hit his leg doesn't mean you broke his leg. I once tried a back shot on a turkey, he fell like a ton of bricks then got up and started walking like nothing happened with the arrow sticking out of his back then flew off to never be seen again. I must of hit too low and the arrow must of hit a bone that stopped it still.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I once had a body shot that hit the thigh and the Tom took to flight with my arrow stuck in him...watched $25 of equipment fly away....LOL....

Good video....like the options presented. I stick to head/neck shots....don't like guessing where the vitals are under all those feather when they're in full strut.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Ive used both. After loosing some birds hit with body shoots (It will happen to the best shot in the world) I almost quit bow hunting birds. So I looked in to the magnus bullheads. Head shot is the way to go. I use the 100 gr cause they seam to fly great to 15 yrds. Ive missed may but im able to go after him another day.
    I keep my decoys at 8 yards and don't shoot till they are in the decoys

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=eGnkk8K0oGA

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

^ Agree with the headshots. Imo best results are with a blind and put the Decoys close.

Smarter than I look

User Info Menu

1. Blind.
    2. Decoys 10y, markers at 20 & 30y.
    3. Headshots are ideal but body shots are good too but can cause you to have to track the bird.

Ideal broadheads?
    ---

Owner / Director
    Niteowl Creative Inc.

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast