Thread: Rifle hunting

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Rifle hunting

Can some one help me with a question. Was looking for a new rifle for coyote and maybe deer. Can some tell me how far north do i have to go until i can use a rifle for deer? Was told before it was noth of highway 89, but can't find that anywhere.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Each WMU has it's own restrictions just look in the regulations and look at the maps for the closest MNU and starting reading what calibers they allow for deer and Coyote.

In the 2017 Regulations you will find some valuable information on Page 66 you will which WMU's allow rifle hunting for deer and Page 79 will tell you what counties allow a rifle up to .275 for small game.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A person hunting small game may not carry or use a rifle of greater calibre than a .275-calibre rifle, except a muzzle-loading gun, in the geograhic areas of Brant, Chatham-Kent, Durham, Elgin, Essex, Haldimand, Halton, Hamilton, Huron, Lambton, Middlesex, Niagara, Norfolk, Northumberland, Oxford, Peel, Perth, Toronto, Waterloo, Wellington or York.

There might be bylaws in some areas too so best to ask the municipality you plan to hunt if unsure....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Yup I was under the impression we could not use a larger cal in my area but apparently it’s not the case.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If there is a rifle season for deer in those areas, the by-law/regulations still leave you with lots of options...62 Grain in .223 to 100+ Grains in a .270. With lots of deer taken on small wood lots or over bait at ranges of 100 yards or less, the .223 is quiet and more then enough. Want a little more punch 22-250, more range .243.....etc.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deadninja79 View Post
    Can some one help me with a question. Was looking for a new rifle for coyote and maybe deer. Can some tell me how far north do i have to go until i can use a rifle for deer? Was told before it was noth of highway 89, but can't find that anywhere.

Any rifle .275 or less and you should be good to go. Very few townships have "shotgun only" or lower rifle caliber specifications by-laws,but,it's always wise to check locally. Info can be found on the township/regional municipality websites under "Firearms Discharge By-Laws".
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Each WMU has it's own restrictions just look in the regulations and look at the maps for the closest MNU and starting reading what calibers they allow for deer and Coyote.

In the 2017 Regulations you will find some valuable information on Page 66 you will which WMU's allow rifle hunting for deer and Page 79 will tell you what counties allow a rifle up to .275 for small game.
    I think i figured it out. If there's no control hunt then you can hunt with a rifle for those weeks, evey other time is only bow. Tnx

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I think i figured it out. If there's no control hunt then you can hunt with a rifle for those weeks, evey other time is only bow. Tnx

Close but not quite true, some areas do not have a controlled hunt and allow shotguns muzzle loaders and bows, no rifles Eg. wmu 75 Keep reading

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hardman View Post
    Close but not quite true, some areas do not have a controlled hunt and allow shotguns muzzle loaders and bows, no rifles Eg. wmu 75 Keep reading
    The WMU's as cited applies to the gun hunt for Deer,only. Once it's over and unless there's a one week M/L hunt,Black Bears in WMU with open seasons allow the use of big game calibers (over .275) for licensed Bear hunters because that falls outside the small game caliber regs. Hunters not licensed for Black Bears may still use varmint/predator calibers up to and including .275. Confused enough,yet? We still have some very conflicting regs under the FWCA.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.