Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turkey/Deer shotgun need direction

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Turkey/Deer shotgun need direction

So we’ve recently moved to an area where there is no rifle season for deer. And there is loads of turkey too!
    My question is regarding the best shotgun for both. I know very little about shotguns because I never really had an interest. This has changed.
    Ive heard of these combos shotguns like the Mossberg 500 and 535. Are they any good or is there a better way?

thanks
    There are three reasons to own a gun. To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals, and to keep the King of England out of your face.
    - Krusty the Clown

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

870 express with a 26/28 inch smooth bore, and a rifled barrel with a canterlever scope mount. You can switch barrels without resighting the scope. Mossberg mounts scope on receiver.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have owned both the Remington Express and the Mossberg. Buy the Mossberg. But yes, a combo that includes a cantilevered slug barrel is what you want.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    I have owned both the Remington Express and the Mossberg. Buy the Mossberg. But yes, a combo that includes a cantilevered slug barrel is what you want.
    What he just said.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I have both. I prefer the safety in the mossy 500 but the fit of the rem 870.both will do the job just find the one that fits you

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Boiler View Post
    Are they any good or is there a better way?
    Time to be adventurous, try something new and get into Black Powder shooting.

A good .50 cal muzzle loader makes a great 'slug' gun for deer during the 'rifle' season and you get an extra week of ML hunting in Dec . AND...with an optional 12ga barrel you can also use it for Turkey hunting.

I've been doing that for years and it's made hunting that much more of a challenge and way more fun.

Otherwise like the other guys have said..

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Cantilever scope mount for the rifled barrel, you do not want to have to tap the receiver. If you do I bet you will deal with a wandering zero and stripped receiver holes when you want to go back to the original configuration.

An 870 is a good one, even an older 3" gun will work out great for you, 3" is more than enough for turkeys and you can get any new 870 barrels to fit on to even the older receivers, you just cannot load it for a chamber length longer than the receiver is designed for.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Remington 870 in 20 gauge with 28" barrel for turkey etc & a rifled slug barrel for deer...lot lighter to carry and does the same job as a 12 gauge with less recoil and weight...I switched to a 20 gauge years ago and have never looked back!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I have two close friends who both have the Mossberg 535 combos and have had numerous troubles with them. The main issue is failing to properly cycle and eject shells. This is particularly true with slugs and magnum turkey loads. I typically like Mossberg and have heard they offer good warranty service. I have a 935 turkey/waterfowl combo and love it. I also got my son a 500 bantam 20 gauge combo last year. So I am not bashing the brand, but would stay away from the 535. That being said, they are liquidating them at Canadian Tires all over right now as noted in another thread. So it is tempting to hope for the best when they are going so cheaply. Lastly, the 870 will hold its value better IMO. Plus barrels are numerous and reasonably priced.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

If you can afford it pick up a dedicated gun for each. A slug gun like a Savage 220 for deer and a 12 gauge specifically set up for turkey or turkey/waterfowl with a change of choke.

It will cost more up front but in the long run you might tire of messing with a combo and want something more specific to the task.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast