Thread: Line counter reel, line suggestions?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Line counter reel, line suggestions?

Got a Daiwa adp27 line counter reel for Christmas, looking for line suggestions, going to fish Lake trout, and pull raps for walleye.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

spool it with 20lb braid and use 15lb fluorocarbon for your leader.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I use a similar set-up as outcast mentioned. I use 20lb mono backing so I don't have to use as much braid. I can't remember how much thin 20lb braid that reel will hold but I've never put out more than 200ft of the braid. Unless you're fishing deep down riggers or hitting salmon you likely will be fine. I will change the floro leader length and strength depending on targeted fish and conditions. Some of the more subtile walleye minnow baits will really have their action impacted by the heavier pound leaders.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OUTCAST View Post
    spool it with 20lb braid and use 15lb fluorocarbon for your leader.
    Braid is fine unless you use small planer boards. Braid slips through the snaps and is a pain in the butt wrapping the line around the snaps to stop the slipping. I changed over to Trilene Big Game line.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Trilene big game. I use 30lbs.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Hedgehog

User Info Menu

I have mine spooled with 20lb mono, I prefer mono when trolling, tried braid but not enough give in it for my liking and seemed lose more fish than with the mono.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Braid is fine unless you use small planer boards. Braid slips through the snaps and is a pain in the butt wrapping the line around the snaps to stop the slipping. I changed over to Trilene Big Game line.
    true dat, I have dedicated rods for pulling boards 17lb Stren or 20lb big game.