Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Jalepeno Cheddar Goose Sausage

  1. #1
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default Jalepeno Cheddar Goose Sausage

    ADVERTISEMENT
    Wild Goose Sausage
    Well if you listened to podcast number two of Ontario Outdoor Pursuit on Podbean or Itunes, you'd know we made 120lbs of wild goose sausage and it came out amazing. We don't like hording our recipes, so we're sharing it with all of you !
    To start we did 30lbs batches at a time. Here's what you'll need per batch:
    15lbs goose meat
    15lbs pork shoulder
    8 Jalepeno peppers finely chopped (seeds out if you dont like it spicy)
    1000 grams of sharp cheddar cut into quarter inch cubes ( shredded is fine if your sausage stuffer can't handle big chunks)
    1% salt to meat. (we used .3lbs for 30lbs of meat)
    5 tablespoons of garlic powder
    5 tablespoons of onion powder
    5 tablespoons of course black pepper powder
    5 tablespoons of smoked paprika
    Meat bins to mix the sausage
    Sausage casing (we strongly recommend natural casings, collagen is harder to work with and gets really crunchy when grilled)
    Vaccum sealer and bags
    Permanent marker, to label packages

    We started off by taking our natural casings and soaking them in luke-warm water while we prepared everything else. We cut the pork and goose into cubes just bigger than an inch. Then the fun begins! We ground our meat with an electric grinder and then weighed 15lbs of ground pork and 15lbs of ground goose. Once we put the weighed meat in a bin we added all of our ingrediants and mixed thoroughly by hand. We used our grinder as a sausage stuffer as well. All you need to do that is to remove the grate and blade in the grinder. Once removed, put your funnel (stuffer) attachment on and lock it tight. By now the casing will be extremly soft, we used a natural casing that came on a plastic slide so it saves a bunch of time putting the casing on the funnel. Slide the casing onto the funnel and tie a knot in the end. Since we had four guys it was easy to cycle between stuffing and wrapping. When stuffing, make the sausage tight but watch out, you don't wan't break a casing (if you do, just cut the casing where it burst and tie a knot as if you were starting again, the sausage you've already stuffed will be fine as long as you tie a knot in that end too). When stuffing, we find it's easiest to twist as we go. So every six inches or so twist the sausage to create a sausage link. We've always packaged our sausage in packs of six links. We find it easiest to buy the vacuum sealing roll and create our own bags to size. Once you vacuum seal the packs don't forget to write on them so you dont get them confused with other packs. We suggest writing the year you batched it on the package, and if you have enough always give some back to your land owners that gave you the oppurtunity to hunt on their property.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Good recipe.
    Would work well with diver ducks too.

  4. #3
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marcellobondi View Post
    Wild Goose Sausage
    Well if you listened to podcast number two of Ontario Outdoor Pursuit on Podbean or Itunes, you'd know we made 120lbs of wild goose sausage and it came out amazing. We don't like hording our recipes, so we're sharing it with all of you !
    To start we did 30lbs batches at a time. Here's what you'll need per batch:
    15lbs goose meat
    15lbs pork shoulder
    8 Jalepeno peppers finely chopped (seeds out if you dont like it spicy)
    1000 grams of sharp cheddar cut into quarter inch cubes ( shredded is fine if your sausage stuffer can't handle big chunks)
    1% salt to meat. (we used .3lbs for 30lbs of meat)
    5 tablespoons of garlic powder
    5 tablespoons of onion powder
    5 tablespoons of course black pepper powder
    5 tablespoons of smoked paprika
    Meat bins to mix the sausage
    Sausage casing (we strongly recommend natural casings, collagen is harder to work with and gets really crunchy when grilled)
    Vaccum sealer and bags
    Permanent marker, to label packages

    We started off by taking our natural casings and soaking them in luke-warm water while we prepared everything else. We cut the pork and goose into cubes just bigger than an inch. Then the fun begins! We ground our meat with an electric grinder and then weighed 15lbs of ground pork and 15lbs of ground goose. Once we put the weighed meat in a bin we added all of our ingrediants and mixed thoroughly by hand. We used our grinder as a sausage stuffer as well. All you need to do that is to remove the grate and blade in the grinder. Once removed, put your funnel (stuffer) attachment on and lock it tight. By now the casing will be extremly soft, we used a natural casing that came on a plastic slide so it saves a bunch of time putting the casing on the funnel. Slide the casing onto the funnel and tie a knot in the end. Since we had four guys it was easy to cycle between stuffing and wrapping. When stuffing, make the sausage tight but watch out, you don't wan't break a casing (if you do, just cut the casing where it burst and tie a knot as if you were starting again, the sausage you've already stuffed will be fine as long as you tie a knot in that end too). When stuffing, we find it's easiest to twist as we go. So every six inches or so twist the sausage to create a sausage link. We've always packaged our sausage in packs of six links. We find it easiest to buy the vacuum sealing roll and create our own bags to size. Once you vacuum seal the packs don't forget to write on them so you dont get them confused with other packs. We suggest writing the year you batched it on the package, and if you have enough always give some back to your land owners that gave you the oppurtunity to hunt on their property.
    Awesome and saved to the recipe file, thanks.
    Any pics? Prep/done/eating? You can keep the post digestion pics I dont need to see those.....

    Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryklimczuk View Post
    Awesome and saved to the recipe file, thanks.
    Any pics? Prep/done/eating? You can keep the post digestion pics I dont need to see those.....

    Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    hahaha i won't send those! If you have Instagram I have pictures on there @marcellobondi . If you don't have Instagram just let me know and ill send you some photos.

  6. #5
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marcellobondi View Post
    hahaha i won't send those! If you have Instagram I have pictures on there @marcellobondi . If you don't have Instagram just let me know and ill send you some photos.
    No instagram for me.

    Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks for sharing the recipe, always looking for ways to use up my goose meat!
    Rod Embree
    KMG Hunting Safaris

  8. #7
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    that sounds like a great recipe, makes me wish I made sausage. Love anything with Jalepeno.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •