Thread: Smoked Venison Ball Roast

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Smoked Venison Ball Roast

Hey everyone, got a few requests to write this out after talking about this recipe on Ontario Outdoor Pursuit podcast. We cooked a surf and turf meal consisting of a smoked venison ball roast, and garlic shrimp marinated in white wine. Attached at the bottom is a youtube video of how we did it, but I wanted to type the recipe out so those of you who want to can copy and paste the recipe in a folder for later use! I would say hopefully you enjoy... but this meal was so delicious I know you will.

Turf:
    1 venison ball roast
    2 tablespoons of course black pepper
    1 tablespoon of crushed sea salt
    2 tablespoons of your favourite barbeque sauce

Surf:
    20 shrimp
    1 cup of white wine
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    2 tablespoons of garlic powder
    1 teaspoon of course black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon of sea salt

In a large Ziploc bag add your shrimp, and all ingredients listed above in the surf section. Seal the bag and give it a good shake until it has been fully mixed. Store in fridge while you cook your roast, the shrimp will cook extremely quickly so put them on the grill when your roast is almost done. We cooked our shrimp on bamboo skewers, if you choose to do the same just be sure to soak your skewers in warm water for at least 15 minutes, this will help prevent your skewers from smoldering on the grill.

Bring your roast to room temperature, cut any silver skin off of the roast, and pat dry with a paper towel (this will help your spices stick to the meat). Add your dry spices to the roast and add your barbeque sauce in a thin layer on top after. Cook on a pellet grill (or indirect heat on a propane grill) at 440 degrees. Flip roast once the bottom looks cooked and remove the roast once your meat reaches an internal temperature of 120 degrees, this will produce a rare and juicy roast. Once you've met your required temperature, let the roast rest for 10 minutes on a plate inside (always rest your meat as it allows the juices to reabsorb into your meat).
    We served our surf and turf meal to friends and family with a side of roasted potatoes, garlic bread, and grilled Brussel sprouts.

Here's the video as promised! (if you liked it and want us to show some more of our recipes please comment and let me know! cheers everyone.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQgJL8DuZHY

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT