Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So where be all the uplanders?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Default So where be all the uplanders?

So curiosity is getting the better of me. Where are all the gta uplanders? Okay early in the season didn't expect any but the diehards out but the last couple of walks with the woodcock back in town would expect to run into a least one other addict out. Just a bunch of walks with the regular shepherd, huskies, and glorified cats.
    Not one sporting dog in the bunch.
    What gives?
    No one getting out in the GTA?
    Going out of town?
    Or am I the last of my kind.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hi

Just been too busy with work to go out.

But your post has motivated me.

My issue has always been about finding a place to go upland hunting in southern Ontario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Hunting time is for hunting. The rest of the year is training/conditioning. Getting the dog out and working on skills only makes for a better day when your on the clock. Just haven't seen anybody out.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Don't hunt with a dog , but I am addict! My brother and his friend were out almost every weekend with their dogs. They saw more rabbit and deer than woodcock.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

D, you're not "the last one", but you definitely have too much time on your hands
    This spring the woodcock flight was really bad, as we all know.
    I am training a pup for NAVHDA NA test, so I was freezing my a.. yesterday in Grand River training day.
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

We are training almost every day. You are definitely not the only diehard.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B25 View Post
    We are training almost every day. You are definitely not the only diehard.
    LOL same here !

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'm curious. What does training consist of at this time of year? Getting a dog on point I assume? BTW I can't believe the woodcock displaying taking place overhead in my area. Haven't seen it like this in the 4 years I've lived here.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    I'm curious. What does training consist of at this time of year? Getting a dog on point I assume? BTW I can't believe the woodcock displaying taking place overhead in my area. Haven't seen it like this in the 4 years I've lived here.
    At this point for me not much. With nesting going on won't be out for a bit. May run the fields in the hydro corridor for exercise.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Most of us are pretty quietly taking our dogs out to our favourite coverts....hoping no one notices, lol.

I have a flusher, so this time of the year is divided between just running her in the field, and using dummies with scent / wings, and wading into the water, and tossing dummies keeping her in shape ( me too)......oh, and reading copies of Shooting Sportsman hoping for more time and ammo this fall.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast