Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Deer Ticks found in S/W Ont already

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

EEEK! They're insidious, creepy, and increasingly dangerous. Glad you found them when you did. Regarding the ER, I can't imagine working in such a situation everyday. Kudos to those who do.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marysburg View Post
    Glad you found them when you did. Regarding the ER, I can't imagine working in such a situation everyday. Kudos to those who do.
    My wive was an ER RN for over 25 yrs (now retired) and we have a daughter who has worked 10 yrs as a PSW in the ER ...the family gatherings are filled with wonderful WTF stories...HaHa...

I'm going to knock on wood...but haven't had a tick bite (yet)....I soak my shoes and walking/hunting clothes in Permethrin spray and it seem to keep them off me.

The Bravecto seems to be working fine, 2 yrs now with 3 dogs and we haven't found a tick on them either....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Spent the evening in emerg last night( all walk in clinics closed??). My husband had 4 embedded ticks - and I mean embedded. I could not remove them. 2 were on his face! The Dr said he was wise to come in - they were deer ticks . He got the appropriate antibiotics. Interesting place emerg. It was like PD Live in there last night.
    Antibiotics didn't work. My man is now on IV antibiotics daily - nurse comes to the home. Take every precaution friends.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that Sharon....was he diagnosed/tested for Lyme Disease or is the IV antibiotics for a site infection (cellulitis) ?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It's all very confusing.
    Seemingly, once the deer tick is found they treat you as if you have lyme disease- antibiotics.They don't test for the bacteria.
    Normally that's the end; you're fine.
    However, if you get a spreading second degree infected rash( + cellulitis), they go to IV antibiotics. You are to watch for fever, headache muscle/joint pain and fatigue once the rash is gone. Those symptoms would confirm lyme disease and then you go on long term antibiotics.
    Last edited by Sharon; June 11th, 2018 at 07:13 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    It's all very confusing.
    Seemingly, once the deer tick is found they treat you as if you have lyme disease- antibiotics.They don't test for the bacteria.
    Normally that's the end; you're fine.
    However, if you get a spreading second degree infected rash( + cellulitis), they go to IV antibiotics. You are to watch for fever, headache muscle/joint pain and fatigue once the rash is gone. Those symptoms would confirm lyme disease and then you go on long term antibiotics.
    Trying to diagnose lyme by symptoms would be tough - they come and go. By the time you have concrete symptoms its pretty bad. Also - to your list - numbness and irregular heartbeat. Those were the first two I noticed but at the time I didn't know they were lyme symptoms. I thought the actual test was required by district health units. Could be lyme is widespread enough now they don't bother tracking. Even after the antibiotics - it takes months for the symptoms to go away.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

A good friend of mine has reoccurring symptoms about every six to eight months and has to go to the hospital for IV antibiotics. He has had this for the last six years as well as some of his other hunting buddies that got lyme disease all around the same time. I can always tell when he is not feeling well just by his appearance and looks completely worn out with a whole host of symptoms.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Something else to worry about with tick bites;

Tick paralysis is caused by a toxin released by the saliva of certain ticks when they bite someone, usually around the head or neck, he said.

After a female tick feeds for five to seven days, the toxin builds up in a person’s system. Then, it can cause symptoms like tingling in the face and limbs, fatigue, weakness and muscle pain, according to the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.

Over several days, this can progress to paralysis that starts in the legs and moves upward, said Lindsay.

“If the ticks aren’t removed, the accumulation of this saliva can result in disruption of the respiratory muscles and the paralysis can be fatal.”

When the tick is removed, the paralysis goes away. Symptoms lessen in minutes or hours and the patient typically recovers completely after 1.5 to 2.5 days, according to a recent case report in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

Women and children are most at risk. “These ticks have to go undetected on a person’s body, usually on the head,” said Lindsay. “And girls with longer hair, maybe, make it harder to locate and promptly remove those ticks.”
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4268679/t...ralysis-risks/

In Canada, tick paralysis is most commonly caused by the Rocky Mountain wood tick, with most cases in south-central B.C., he said. Some cases in livestock have been caused by the American dog tick, found east of Saskatchewan.

Preventing this disease is the same as any other tick-borne illness: don’t get bitten, and remove any attached ticks promptly.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well that was cheery. LOL

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I picked up this product at the Walmart in the US...($9 US)

Makes me wonder why it's not available in Canada. It's clearly marked for your cloths and gear. It has the same active ingredient (Permatherin) and the same strength (.5%) as the Ultra Shield.

Hard to imagine Health Canada is very serious about the risks of Lyme disease when products like this are still banned for sale in Canada.

note: specifically says safe for dogs:

Sawyer Permethrin Insect Repellent can be applied to dogs and help control mosquitoes, and fleas for 35 days and against ticks for 6 weeks.
    https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ent-treatment/
    Last edited by MikePal; June 20th, 2018 at 04:56 AM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast