Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Botswana Vacation 2018: First African trip (no hunting)

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Thumbup Botswana Vacation 2018: First African trip (no hunting)

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi All,

Hoping to bring a better mood to the forum I will share my first trip to Africa, so please play nice

We stayed close the town of Maun in two fancy camps on the Okavango delta. The food was excellent, the local people were great, the guest so so, and the game viewing exceptional.

This is the end of their summer (rainy season) so everything was green, long grass and thick bushes and lots of water. To my surprise most place looked like a very thick apple orchard so it was going to be difficult to sight games. But not, apparently I was very lucky to see so much on a first trip!

Wake up 5:30am, breakfast 6am, game drive from 6:30 am to 11am, then lunch and rest, back on a game drive from 4pm to 8pm. Then dinner and bed time.... This for 10 days.... I need some time off again!

I really felt like I was hunting during the game drive. We had a privet guide and vehicle. The guide explain us right away what he was listening and looking for so we all participated to the hunt. We drove thru some really tick vegetation during the hot period of the day to find some cats and we had to stop to hear them breathing. Really cool stuff when you end up finding them and a great guide that was born and raised in the bush.

We saw pretty much everything you expect to see in a safari beside a rhino, wild dog and hyena. 42 rhinos were released in the area last year so a sighting was possible but it didn't happen. I now have to comeback for my big 5, damn

No hunting Botswana since 2014 and everyone (local and businesses) are more than happy with this decision. Everything is booming in Maun. Not perfect yet though but the government is working with the farmer figure it out. Kind of nice to hear it first hand, not from our famous "Internet know it all".....

Overall, I really felt privileged to be there.

Anyway here are some pics, more video to come later when I have more time.

Hope you enjoy.
    Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyBqSWFrlFo&t=88s

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

User Info Menu

Great pics!! Thanks for taking the time to post them. Friends of ours went there and had an excellent time. Thank God for digital cameras !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Great pics!! Thanks for taking the time to post them. Friends of ours went there and had an excellent time. Thank God for digital cameras !!
    I wished I had discovered that my phone can take 4K videos before the last two days of the trip. I now enjoy the videos more than the pictures.
    My pleasure to share them!

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Very nice Seabast! Thanks for posting your trip.

TS

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great trip Seabast! I am jealous - I love Africa. Been there 12 times doing work in 7 or 8 different countries. And once as a tourist in Tanzania to go on safari (photo) on the Serengeti and to climb Kilimanjaro.
    Last edited by Species8472; April 6th, 2018 at 03:01 PM.
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Nice shots

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Great trip Seabast! I am jealous - I love Africa. Been there 12 times doing work in 7 or 8 different countries. And once as a tourist in Tanzania to go on safari (photo) on the Serengeti and to climb Kilimanjaro.
    Exactly my feeling too. I want to go back so bad!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Africa is surreal ..... are you planning your return ?
    Glen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rodbender View Post
    Nice shots
    You would have been in heaven Rob, so many birds out there. And some fairly rare ones too.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

LOL my name is Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast