Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314

Thread: New Tag format Next Year ?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    This site is for Kentucky's new no tag system for carcasses...gives a good idea on how it works...

https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Recordi...nsporting.aspx

edit add; I see that they responded to hunters complaints that they had to have a pencil/pen..so they apparently changed to a tag that has a tear off portion now...
    One thing that you/we have to remember is that geography has a lot to do with enforcement.
    The State of Kentucky , for comparison, has an area of 40,409.1 sq. mi. verses Ontario's 415,600 sq. mi. we are a little more than 10 times the size, and from info. I rec,d not long ago, we only have a total of 162 C.O,s , and most likely our budget is a lot less for game enforcement than Kentucky,s is., as the money generated goes into general funds and is used for most everything else, and a very small portion is allotted to the MNRF.

In the U.S. there are many places , fishing/hunting areas where you see signs posted that read something like this;
    The facilities here are enabled through the use of funds from the Fishing and Hunting Licenses sold , also from the taxes collected by the Pittman Robertson Act, which we in Ontario have no such thing.

What works in one place, may not necessarily be the cure all end all in another.
    Last edited by jaycee; April 15th, 2018 at 03:11 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    The State of Kentucky , for comparison, has an area of 40,409.1 sq. mi. verses Ontario's 415,600 sq. mi. we are a little more than 10 times the size,
    Since very little of Ontario's land mass is hunted, almost nill in the far north, hard to use that discrepancy with any value.

Ontario's population is 13 million about about 3x the population of Kentucky's popualtion of 4.4 million . I don't think there is a very big difference in Hunters per sq/km during the season. Not anything to warrant saying that we are 'so' much different that a system they use wouldn't work here.....you're grasping.

You'll have to face it Jaycee....this 'no need to tag the carcass' license system has been adopted by a lot of states already and more each year. They've worked out the bugs long ago and whether you think it will work or not, it's coming here next year

The MNR has done a cost analysis and it save money, is more efficient and easier to manage.. so in the end it's the way we're going.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Saw this in the OFAH AGM minutes....some further clarification...

-Jamie Stewart: regulation changes as of January 01, 2019; outdoors cards down to
    one card (no longer will the card be different depending what you are doing (apprentice,
    fishing, hunting, etc.); technology in the software and on the card will allow/deny purchase
    of tags;

must carry your PAL when you are transporting or hunting with falconry, any type of
    gun or bow; this change will be on your current card renewal date or any new card after
    January 01,2019; your current outdoors card is valid until your personal renewal date;

-you will now have to have a computer and printer and/or an electronic device a CO
    can scan/verify your license/tag in the field;

-you have to setup a distinct password; licences and tags will be totally different;

-all licences you have qualified for will be on one piece of paper/document called “a summary”; you must print this piece of paper/document yourself;
    you must have this document on you at all times;

all tags purchased will be also on this piece of paper/document; every time you purchase a new licence (license to hunt deer in 2019 for
    example) this piece of paper/document will change and reflect this update;

you must print this updated piece of paper/document and carry this new one that makes your prior piece of
    paper/document “VOID”;

-the tags will be totally different; each tag will carry detailed information on what it is
    valid for and where (which WMUs); on each tag will be an Electronic Product Code –Radio
    Frequency Identification (EPC-RFID) for MNRF confirmation even in the field (COs will have
    readers); the same notch rules will apply;

-the tags will be printed on normal paper; there has been concern about tag durability; the tag must be attached to the harvested animal (there are commercially available plastic tag holders) or the tag and hunter must always be with the animal;

there is software (document security) in the document to prevent fraud by
    photocopying; be sure your computer has its printer on-line plus the printer has paper and
    ink - - you will only get ONE (01) chance to print your tag
    ;

http://www.ofah.org/zonee/wp-content...-Comments.docx
    Last edited by MikePal; April 16th, 2018 at 04:40 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Since very little of Ontario's land mass is hunted, almost nill in the far north, hard to use that discrepancy with any value.

Ontario's population is 13 million about about 3x the population of Kentucky's popualtion of 4.4 million . I don't think there is a very big difference in Hunters per sq/km during the season. Not anything to warrant saying that we are 'so' much different that a system they use wouldn't work here.....you're grasping.

You'll have to face it Jaycee....this 'no need to tag the carcass' license system has been adopted by a lot of states already and more each year. They've worked out the bugs long ago and whether you think it will work or not, it's coming here next year

The MNR has done a cost analysis and it save money, is more efficient and easier to manage.. so in the end it's the way we're going.
    Not grasping at anything by any means , just noting that there are differences same as you do.
    As for tagging carcass,s it makes no difference to me, I do it if I have to or don;t do it if not required.
    As far as it being more efficient and easier to manage,that we will see and determine once it is in effect, and we all know how spendthrift and wasteful our Gov. is . Wynne ??????

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well all that makes life easier for us hunters,even if I thought about this really hard I don,t think I could f it up any more.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    The State of Kentucky , for comparison, has an area of 40,409.1 sq. mi. verses Ontario's 415,600 sq. mi. we are a little more than 10 times the size, and from info. I

Ontario's population is 13 million about about 3x the population of Kentucky's popualtion of 4.4 million . I don't think there is a very big difference in Hunters per sq/km during the season.
    Southern Ontario south of the French River not including Algonquin park is 58,000 sq. miles. Adding in areas south of Highway 11 in NE Ontario and in NW ontario around Thunder bay, Atikokan, Fort Frances, Dryden and Kenora would likely bump this number to at least 150,000 sq. miles that sees regular hunting out of the 400,000+ available. I will assume that the162 COs quoted by someone else in Ontario is accurate. Most recent number I could find for Kentucky is 129 COs as of 2016. Next thing to consider is the number of hunters (not the actual populations as recruitment rates are different). OFAH estimates the number of hunters in Ontario at 450,000. US Census estimates the number of hunters in Kentucky at 347,000.

So now you have the data to draw whatever comparisons you want. I'll stay out of that bit.
    Last edited by Species8472; April 15th, 2018 at 04:56 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Smarter than I look?..

User Info Menu

test reply. Please ignore
    ---

Owner / Director
    Niteowl Creative Inc.

Hidden Content

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314