Thread: Carp and gar

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Carp and gar

Hi all I'm new to fly fishing and was wondering when the best time of year is to try for some carp or gar

Also was wondering if there's any fly fishing guides Belleville area

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I usually get into gar early fall. Can't comment on carp.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Okay I have only ever got one gar ever that was last year on my bait caster and this year I'm looking to get in to fly fishing I got a rod and will be taking it with me when ever I go fishing.

At the moment I have not boat so have to try to find where to get them from shore

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

good luck they are out there. must be lots in lake ontario.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Small game View Post
    Okay I have only ever got one gar ever that was last year on my bait caster and this year I'm looking to get in to fly fishing I got a rod and will be taking it with me when ever I go fishing.

At the moment I have not boat so have to try to find where to get them from shore
    Shore fishing for carp is common practice. Never heard of anyone catching them on fly though. Any park/ marina in lake O will hold carp. The Trent waterway is also a good spot for carp, good public access and shore fishing.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    Carping on the fly is extremely fun, whether you're single hand casting or fishing a two hander. There's a lot of dedicated fly carpers out there these days.

For both single hand and two hand, I tend to run a skagit setup with OPST commando heads and sink tips for ease of casting streamers with lighter rods. Add mono running line over coated, and you've got a real screamer. You can single haul a hell of a lot of line, or spey cast to your heart's content. Bright woolly buggers, crayfish patterns, clouser minnow patterns, worm patterns, etc. all work well. It's really a sight fish game, and you've gotta try and get the fly right in front of their face as carp are notorious for not moving much for a fly.

A good 5/6 weight single hander will work well if you take it easy. Remember, they're strong fish and you can easily snap a rod if you try to beast them in!

-Nick
    Okay thanks for the info I just goty first fly rod I have had it out to play with now just wanna go try to get some fish