Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose Numbers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Why so many cow tags if the population isn't good? Only going to make it worse if you remove the breeding females....
    Remember, about 50% of those calves being shot are cows as well.

Close the season to anything but mature bulls, pay to get into a draw and buy a license if you win the lottery for a bull. This is what happens all over North America and it works, our system does not work.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntitall View Post
    It doesnt make sense, we hunt WMU47, one tag again this year. However, WMU 46 has 34 tags and WMU 49 has 54! Both border our WMU 47!!
    The camp I attend is also in 47 and for the last few years no one goes up for moose any more. What a shame . During the deer hunt we saw 6 moose , 1 bull 3 cows and 2 calves.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Talk to the MNRF biologist for the area , he/she is the one who determines how many tags are allotted for each wmu.
    Please pass on the contact information

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    The camp I attend is also in 47 and for the last few years no one goes up for moose any more. What a shame . During the deer hunt we saw 6 moose , 1 bull 3 cows and 2 calves.
    Would you rather see no moose? I think it is great that nobody hunts moose anymore, seems as though the numbers are starting to come back.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not a shame that we saw moose , but a shame that no one attends moose camp due to the lack of tags.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We are in WMU 60 and the Moose tag numbers are pretty consistent,we regularly see Moose after the hunt end,s.LOL

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not a shame that we saw moose , but a shame that no one attends moose camp due to the lack of tags.
    I just hope that my daughter will have the possibility to attend moose camp at some point down the road.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntitall View Post
    Please pass on the contact information
    Sorry I don't have it, last time I called was about 6 years ago and got the info by calling MNRF Head Office. ,
    The biologist for our area was located in Minden and my buddy and I spent a few hours with him when we were up that way , he also told us he was retiring within two years so it will be some one else now.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    It's pretty clear.............
    Those numb nuts are trying to phase out moose hunting
    40yrs ago, my Grandfather predicted future hunting would be so severely restricted, only Indigenous ppl's will be hunting. So far so good.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Remember, about 50% of those calves being shot are cows as well.

Close the season to anything but mature bulls, pay to get into a draw and buy a license if you win the lottery for a bull. This is what happens all over North America and it works, our system does not work.
    Been suggesting this for years!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12