Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hunting from a canoe

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Drifting with a motor attached is not going to work in your favor. How do you prove at all movement provide by motor has stopped.
    Obviously you have never chased a crippled lake duck in open water....but this discussion was beat to death on another thread some time ago....

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Drifting with a motor attached is not going to work in your favor. How do you prove at all movement provide by motor has stopped.
    the "anchor" part is wrong. All forward momentum provided by the motor must have ceased. You can drift along with current or wind all you want. I do it all the time.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The rule of thumb used by law enforcement is if there's ANY wake coming off the stern,the vessel is in motion and that includes ripples. The wisest thing to do is lift the motor and use a paddle. Then,there's absolutely no question.
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

Proud supporter of OFAH,CCFR,NRA,A.F.& A.M. and Shriners Children's Hospitals.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

When hunting waterfowl, I can be using a canoe with a motor attached. As long as it is not running, I could paddle the canoe and shoot from the canoe. (or boat for that matter)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Obviously you have never chased a crippled lake duck in open water....but this discussion was beat to death on another thread some time ago....
    That is a different case. I know not to spray you with the extinguisher, but you would hope if you caught fire I would do it anyways right.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

A big issue is the actual event of the shot.
    For ducks, if you are jump hunting from a canoe it is easy. No matter how windy or how much motion the canoe is under-- your brain just accommodates that movement with the flight of the duck as it jumps and flies away.

A rifle shot is totally different. I have only done it once and it was successful for a deer. But it is a very difficult shot. The canoe always has tiny bit of movement no matter you try to keep it still. So you have to slowly move the rifle while scoping the animal. When your sights have been stable a few seconds on the desired spot then shoot.
    I did it from a small lake.
    A creek or small river would be easier with a closer shot and more shelter from wind.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345