Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The .45 Kentucky; first shot of 2018

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default The .45 Kentucky; first shoot of 2018

Beauty Day, got the chores done by noon so it was time to open the range and "Make Smoke".

I took the .45 CVA Kentucky out, using .45 swaged Balls and the Butler Creek Poly Patches (Ball Sabot) I bought a few years back.

If you're interested see this old thread for info on them. (https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...5-Poly-Patches)

Today goal: confirm the consistency and accuracy of the powder/patch/ball at 25 yds and 50 yds.

I'm shooting open sights (blade) using a barrel rest. The target paper gives me a 2" black square for Bull.

I should add, for those that don't shoot open sights, at 50 yds you don't see the black square, it's covered by the bead on the front sight so you're essentially shooting at an invisible target.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the groupings for the first day out, surprised again how much more accurate for this gun got when I switched to the Poly Patches.

Specs:

.45 cal 125 gr. swaged ball
    60 grs of Pyrodex

First Group at 25yds:

A note of interest I didn't increase the powder charge and kept the same point of aim between the 25 and 50 yds distances. The drop was only about an inch, nice to know.

Last edited by MikePal; April 23rd, 2018 at 04:22 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I also found I need to get into shape...LOL.....walking back and forth 100 yrds to target board to take the pictures after each shot got my heart rate up enough to affect my shooting...felt like a Biathlon shooter. The first two shots where good then I started to have to control my breathing more. Sucks getting old

Last edited by MikePal; April 22nd, 2018 at 07:17 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Good shooting Mike. Absolutely nothing wrong with that load.Nice tight grouping, it's dead...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Looks like it is shooting well.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice tight pattern, look really good, maybe too good, watch out for that close shot
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have been thinking more about your first 2 shots at 50 yards vs 3, 4 and 5. Do you clean between shots? Might be worth trying, those first 2 are awesome then it starts to open up. I know this is a round ball at 50 yards but 1 and 2 vs 3-5, quite a bit further out in the group.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    quite a bit further out in the group.
    I don't think in the world of 'Patch and Ball' that 1" is considered 'quite a bit'.......LOL.

That drift is just me, after shooting equivalent to x20 'slug' rounds that afternoon my shoulder was getting sore and as i said earlier,my heart rate was up from walking back and forth..not the best for accurate shooting.
    Last edited by MikePal; April 24th, 2018 at 07:09 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Nice tight pattern, look really good, maybe too good, watch out for that close shot
    Thanks...yes I'm impressed that this gun can produce a tight grouping....I had a heck of a time trying to get any consistency with it when I first started shooting it using the lubricated patches. When I switched to these Poly Patches it sure tightened it up.

A 2" groupings at 50 yds with a 'slug' gun and open sights is OK by me....Heck I have a 10" Pie Plate as a target

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I don't think in the world of 'Patch and Ball' that 1" is considered 'quite a bit'....

That drift is just me, after shooting equivalent to 20 'slug' rounds that afternoon my shoulder was getting sore....LOL..
    3 and 4 is a 3" spread, so 6 MOA, as I said before, I am not sure of round ball accuracy but was just wondering about cleaning, lots of people claim they need to swab the bore between shots and the long range black powder guys use hoses to blow into the bore to softening the fouling.

Shot 1 and 2 are touching, is that just luck or is that what that 45 is actually capable of?

I sighted in all the deer rifles on the same day last year, I know what it is like when things get sore, 8 rifles, 2 ended up being properly dialed in and the other 6 were close enough to stay in the cabinet for the week, the next day was rough.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

3 and 4 is a 3" spread, so 6 MOA, as I said before, I am not sure of round ball accuracy
    Shot 1 and 2 are touching, is that just luck or is that what that 45 is actually capable of?
    Ahhh starting to see the misunderstanding...the target is the 2" square...and 4/5 shots are touching it..that is good shooting in the world of Black Powder shooting with Patch and ball.

Discussing of clover leaf groups are for guys with scoped center fire guns

I don't think in all my years of discussing shooting of forums for Side Locks I have ever heard the term 'MOA' when discussing accuracy....

Well considering that 5/6 shots are touching at the 25yds range I can say, yes this gun, with these polypatches, is accurate enough, but you'd have to be able to see the target. As stated earlier, the 2" square is completely hidden behind the bead on the front forsight at 50yds.....so just hitting is the challenge.
    Last edited by MikePal; April 29th, 2018 at 05:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast