Thread: It's about time

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Default It's about time

Last year on April 15 the spring peepers were starting and the leeks were about 8" tall and growing fast. We are at least a week behind so far. As of today no peepers yet and the leeks have finally poked through the leaves and are 2-3 inches tall so that's the first good sign I've seen so far. Can't hardly wait for some fresh snacking on my favorite springtime treat.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

What should I look for to find wild leeks? Care to share any good recipes if I am lucky enough to find some.

Thanks

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Next year they will be even later then this year.. You can quote me on that, and if I am wrong I'll send you a $50 tim's card.( offer only applies to smitty55).
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Hedgehog

User Info Menu

yes, waiting for the fiddleheads to arrive as well.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-wanShinobi View Post
    What should I look for to find wild leeks? Care to share any good recipes if I am lucky enough to find some. Thanks
    Generally in a hardwood bush with plenty of maples. Within a week or so as they grow some more they will be the first green carpet you can see in the bush from a distance.
    I love to eat them raw but once they start coming on strong they will get cut up and added to just about anything I would use onion and garlic in. I also have a fiddlehead and leek soup recipe that is fantastic. Once they get real big I will chop and freeze them for use in sausages as well. One of my favorite uses over the last 5 years though has been making a compound butter for year round use. I make logs of the butter, wrap in plastic and wax paper and then vacuum seal. It is so good for so many uses where you would normally use butter. Basically this recipe. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...d-butters.html
    One thing to remember. Never dig, hand pick only, hopefully leaving the woody root section in the ground.

Cheers

Hedgehog

User Info Menu

Headed to fish a speck creek this weekend and will keep eyes open. might be the only catch of the day.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Don't think we will find leeks around here until 24 May...

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Most years may 24 is too late but this year there might still be some. Can’t wait for a fresh batch, still have a ziploc from last year but I put up 8 ziploc’s in the freezer last year. I also make compound butter and freeze individual logs of it to use all year round. Nice med rare steak with a nob of leek butter.................oh boy!

Looks like we are at least a week maybe two out before they are ready.

Just checked and it was April 29th I picked my first batch last year, picked some more two weeks later and they were large and most had already turned.

And like stated above leave the shovels at home and do a little reading on proper ways to harvest, leaving the root system in the ground. That way you will have a patch to go back to each year to harvest more.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!