Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cost too much to take into the woods......

Member for Life

User Info Menu

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Cost me 4k to build my 16x20 cabin in 2011. Insulated with wood heat. Took a while but scavenged all the material in bits and pieces from kijiji and built it myself.

Electrical cost 2.5k in 2011. 200 watt panel, 400 watt windmill, most of it is 12VDC but there is a 1500 watt pure sine inverter that also has a charge controller built in. Only item purchased new was 200 amp hour deep cycle battery ($700). Battery will need replacement in 2 or 3 years.

Land price is what i paid in 2010 for 100 acres in 82a - about 2hrs from the GTA. No driveway or entrance. I burned about $1500 in fuel with my backhoe mining aggregate off of the property to build the driveway, parking area and prepare the base for the cabin.

Comfortable but rustic.
    You did very well getting land up in that area for that price even in 2110,your sweat equity will pay of very well.Good job.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Land was fairly cheap as unlike other parts of 82a mine is essentially useless for agriculture - either very stony or cedar swamp with pockets of quick sand here and there. Out of the entire 100 only about 2 or 3 acres are suitable for food plots and I currently have those areas planted in white clover. For my purposes though it is perfect, lots of deer, bunnies and grouse. Zoning is 2/3 rural and 1/3 EP so if I ever wanted to I could even build a permanent residence. The other factor that brought the price down is the frontage of the property is entirely swamp (about 5 or 6 acres). The result being if you wanted to put a driveway in you were looking at +/- 30k if you hired a contractor to do the excavation and grading work with trucked in aggregate. Before I made the offer I confirmed that I could get an entrance approval and got permission from the neighbour to get my backhoe onto the property from the side using his property. I than saved all the aggregate costs by mining it off the property (checked out the quaternary geology mapping to confirm that the property had gravel on site) and did all the grading/excavating and construction myself building the driveway from the inside out.
    Last edited by Species8472; April 27th, 2018 at 04:51 PM.
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Don't forget a reliable pickup / vehicle to get you there - $50,000 +

Just starting out

User Info Menu

It's all luxury in the end, we all know you can tag out with a $300 used bow and a pair of rubber boots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123