Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody ever shoot a turkey with an open, infected wound?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

B55FD9AF-8E29-4F32-BEB1-F70C7829D385.jpg

Here was last nights dinner, no one could stop eating it until we were all uncomfortablely full.........lol
    Last edited by duckslayer; April 29th, 2018 at 09:57 AM.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

what coating did you put on those strips ? those look friggen good....dip in blue cheese sauce or plum sauce

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    B55FD9AF-8E29-4F32-BEB1-F70C7829D385.jpg

Here was last nights dinner, no one could stop eating it until we were all uncomfortablely full.........lol
    OK Duckslayer, now you must share the recipe or we'll hound you until you do
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by be2man View Post
    Yellow, green, purple, brown are all various colours of a bruise resolving. You've likely had one yourself. Post trauma and bleeding into the tissue planes as the blood breaks down and is absorbed it will turn these various colours. If it was actual pus it would be green/yellow, thick and have an odour. I'd take a wide trim around that and depending on the overall condition of the bird might take a pass on it.
    Bruising is no problem other than appearance.
    I'm not talking about a bruise. I am talking about relatively solid material in among the breast meat. Trust me when I say that the sight of it would make anybody question whether they should eat the bird. It was truly nasty. I didn't put my nose to it, but it couldn't have smelled good. I trimmed a couple/few inches of meat away and put the rest of the breast meat and legs in the freezer.
    I shot a second bird on the weekend from the same area and it had a scab of a couple inches on its breast. It was just skin deep, so I just peeled it off and i have no problem feeding this bird to my family.
    I guess the Toms on this property have a pretty tough life!
    Last edited by rf2; April 30th, 2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointer View Post
    OK Duckslayer, now you must share the recipe or we'll hound you until you do
    Quote Originally Posted by Jow View Post
    what coating did you put on those strips ? those look friggen good....dip in blue cheese sauce or plum sauce
    No sauce needed!!!

I’ll post up the recipe in the recipe section in a day or two when I get a bit of time.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

a few years back it was just getting light and i heard a gobble about fifty yards away coming from the Ground! couldn't understand how a turkey would have flown down out of roost so close to me and so early.. It was weird, i eventually shot it after it got a little more daylight a 21lb tom discovered it had a broken wing. Stinky green and nasty looking I just cut wing off while cleaning and ate the whole thing..except the wing of course..and suffered no ill effects. The turk I shot this year had a couple green spots in breast we just cut them out and run them the smoker.. Delicious!!
    Last edited by chomper; May 1st, 2018 at 02:51 PM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Recipe has been posted for those that asked.

https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...Turkey-Fingers

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yellow dog View Post
    Let us know how you feel after you eat it.
    I ate one of the legs/thighs last week. I'm still alive and feel fine. I'll tackle the breast soon.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Two years a hunted a property I shared with another guy. He told me a few days earlier he had shot at and "missed" a big tom. I hunted anyways and saw a tom and the far end of the field come out but was totally uninterested in anything I tossed out. Eventually a hen ran in from about 300 yards and started making a fuss around my single decoy, which sparked a little interest from the tom. It took about an hour for the tom to walk in, stopping every few feet and staring. No gobbling or strutting. The hen was making such a scene he eventually started to go around the decoy but at one point he was in range and rolled him over.
    When I skinned him out he had a large inflamed area with a watery bag of puss covering it on his back which I accidentally cut into and then almost puked. He had about 10 pellets in his back upon further inspection. Nothing in the breast at all.

I ate it and to lived to tell this amazing story !!

PS: apparently the other guy shot at that bird as it ran away.. I questioned the distance.
    Last edited by smokin'stoegie; August 6th, 2018 at 11:27 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123