Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever shoot a turkey with an open, infected wound?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Let us know how you feel after you eat it.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Ha Ha! Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow dog View Post
    Let us know how you feel after you eat it.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll eat it, but in small doses first.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think you can post it were all outdoors people on here
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Bird is fine to eat cut the bad spot out and it will be fine from my experience it is either from fighting or believe it or not I have harvested two birds with sticks stuck in their breast from flying out of the roost. The first one I thought was a huge beard until I shot it and walked up to it and found it was a piece of wood. Since then I shot another one about two years ago and the wound was healed over and when I cut it out there was a piece of wood in the meat. Both birds were just as good as the rest to eat.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
    Bird is fine to eat cut the bad spot out and it will be fine from my experience it is either from fighting or believe it or not I have harvested two birds with sticks stuck in their breast from flying out of the roost. The first one I thought was a huge beard until I shot it and walked up to it and found it was a piece of wood. Since then I shot another one about two years ago and the wound was healed over and when I cut it out there was a piece of wood in the meat. Both birds were just as good as the rest to eat.
    Not uncommon to have big wounds this time of year. If you have not seen how male turkeys fight it's worth looking it up on YouTube. Those spurs make quite a mess of other birds as do their beaks. Trim around the wound and cook it well.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Yellow, green, purple, brown are all various colours of a bruise resolving. You've likely had one yourself. Post trauma and bleeding into the tissue planes as the blood breaks down and is absorbed it will turn these various colours. If it was actual pus it would be green/yellow, thick and have an odour. I'd take a wide trim around that and depending on the overall condition of the bird might take a pass on it.
    Bruising is no problem other than appearance.
    Last edited by be2man; April 28th, 2018 at 07:31 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I will take the first bit if you want since I have never had wild turkey.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I've never shot one with a wound, but have seen several where the breast feathers are almost completely worn off.
    What calm deer hunter’s heart has not skipped a beat when the silence of a cold November morning afield is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Opening day Dad and I doubled on toms, dads had some nice hooks and mine had a puncture in his lower breast with a greeny tinge to the area. I cut the bottom part of the breast off and will have no issues eating the rest. Actually have had quite a few with wounds in the legs and breasts and I ate them with no issues. Just another reason I don't whole pluck my birds, well that and they eat so much better when cooked properly (not roasted).

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointer View Post
    I've never shot one with a wound, but have seen several where the breast feathers are almost completely worn off.
    Every bird has a bare patch on its breast some worse than others, it is caused from them resting on there breast while they roost. I'm sure there are some that have lost some feathers from fighting as well but for the most part it is from the roost tree.
    Last edited by duckslayer; April 29th, 2018 at 09:47 AM.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast