Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about lead-free fishing tackle and ammunition?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Question What do you think about lead-free fishing tackle and ammunition?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Environment and Climate Change Canada recently released two reports on the use of lead fishing tackle and lead ammunition. They are encouraging the use of non-lead alternatives for both fishing tackle and ammunition. What do you think? Links to the full reports are included below.

Moving toward using lead-free fishing tackle: https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...ng-tackle.html

Moving towards using more lead-free ammunition: https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...mmunition.html

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

load of crap...

375 million cartridges are imported into Canada for recreational shooting, hunting and enforcement activities. This ammunition releases about 5,200 tonnes of lead into the environment annually.
    Lead is not being released into the 'environment'...95% of bullets are shot into the butts are the local ranges and the vast majority of that is recaptured and recycled.

The vast majority of what is shot while hunting is buried into the ground in remote isolated areas after a thru and thru or they are recovered while butchering.

Blaming Hunters/Shooters for contaminating the environment with their spent bullets is total poppycock.
    Last edited by MikePal; April 27th, 2018 at 03:40 PM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I'm not going to worry about it. There are worse contamination sources out there!
    Just an other tree hugger/antigun nazis BS.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Maybe,EC should concentrate more on the mercury in environmentally correct "green" CF bulbs that end up in landfills if they don't burn down your house,first,when they ignite during burn out.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

99% of my fishing tackle is already lead free( flies, rattle baits, steel hooks with carp bait or eggs), I shoot copper bullets, and steel shot. How the heck am I the problem. Even for hunting grouse I use #7 steel just so I can carry a few waterfowl loads and be legal. Last time I bought a case of #7 steel it was maybe two bucks more then lead. That is less then one XL timmies.

They are just looking for an easy target, and because people know "NOTHING" about hunting and fishing we are it.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

User Info Menu

I can understand the lead sinker issue, but they are overreaching on the ammunition aspect.
    Last edited by rick_iles; April 27th, 2018 at 04:00 PM.

User Info Menu

so isn't lead taken from the environment originally?
    Aren't we just putting it back from whence it came?
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

What is said above. Last time they cleaned one of the ranges, the butts were run through a huge filter machine and the contaminated soil trucked off to (Hamilton) if I'm not mistaken.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

As usual MikePal , you are dead on.
    Woody

Nothing is more certain than an extremist's hatred of compromise

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Here are a couple of very interesting articles on lead poisoning;
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/lead/health.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast