Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WMU 24 - Input on hunting

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Best of luck. My daughter did this in 2017. She started at the south end in March and wrapped up in the first week of September.
    Awesome! Congrats to her. I can only imagine from what I’ve read and gleaned from Youtube.
    Most people I know have no idea how long the Appalachian Trail is until I say: imagine walking from Ottawa to Calgary. That’s 3,300km.
    I don't wear bows - I shoot them.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Can we have an update ? How its worked out 2 year after ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Nina Martin View Post
    Hello
    Hubby and I recently bought a lakefront, off grid property a few kilometres north of Highway 11. This area north of 11 is WMU 24.
    As I look at the hunting regs, a few things that stand out versus where I used to hunt (63A - Lanark) is that the rifle season is longer, obviously no turkey season, and a longer moose season. Oh, and the fact is almost all Crown land.
    We should be completely up from Ottawa to ďup northĒ by late June.

As this is all new hunting area for me, any input, anecdotes, thoughts on this area?
    In my few trips, Iíve been surprised at the grouse and rabbits that Iíve seen thus far.

The former owner of the property said in the 17 years he lived there, never saw deer...only moose. Silly me applied for a doe tag before I heard this.

thanks

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have bow hunted moose there last couple years. Lots of small game, no sign of deer around. Moose are around. Not as much sign or as enjoyable to bow hunt as Unit 19 or 21. I will say it is a very wet area. Lots of muck and marsh. Argo is a good idea, most locals I see have them. We are limited in our access because of this. I am on foot a lot but that is a challenge getting around as well as the ground is very soft and impassable in many places on foot or 4 wheeler. Enjoy the adventure!!
    Endeavour to Persevere

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alfoldivandor View Post
    Can we have an update ? How its worked out 2 year after ?!
    As Alfoldivandor asked Nina?

"Can we have an update? How its worked out 2 year after ?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You really have only 2 seasons to adapt to. The first is June which is bug season and the other eleven months you get to enjoy.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Learn to love fishing and grouse hunting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12