Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who’s got power and who’s out ?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Who’s got power and who’s out ?

Our village has been out since Friday night, the next street over got theirs back yesterday but the Hydro One app says we may be out till Tuesday night

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

We just got it back last night. I hope you get it back soon if you don't have a generator.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Ours (just south of Huntsville) never even blinked, but I know many around us were out well into Saturday

Leads by example

User Info Menu

We were out till 2pm today, 44 hours

I have a generator and most of the neighbours do too. A weekend like this makes you realize how lucky we were to keep power thru that last ice storm.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73hunter View Post
    We were out till 2pm today, 44 hours

I have a generator and most of the neighbours do too. A weekend like this makes you realize how lucky we were to keep power thru that last ice storm.
    It's amazing how many will just brush this off as no big deal and go on their merry way, once the power is back on, as if nothing happened? A major, lengthy, and wide spread power grid shut down for any of a multitude of reasons will put a lot of folks in peril, but so many just ignore the ramifications? I don't like the label "prepper", but how many people are truly prepared for a big shut down? Non perishable food? Water? Meds? Ability to keep warm in the winter?
    My home is a conventional 3 BR bungalow, heated with a furnace, well water, etc. All pretty much useless when no power? But, I've also got my cabin about 1/2 hour away with woodstove and propane cookstove. A tiled well with lots of water that I could pail out if the pump had no power. Lot's of canned meat (I did myself) and other food supplies not dependant on the grid. My family wouldnt starve or perish from cold. A simple solar system would give us light once the gas ran out. We'd be fine for several weeks or longer if need be. Anyone else? Could you last a month? A couple of weeks even without outside help?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    It's amazing how many will just brush this off as no big deal and go on their merry way, once the power is back on, as if nothing happened? A major, lengthy, and wide spread power grid shut down for any of a multitude of reasons will put a lot of folks in peril, but so many just ignore the ramifications? I don't like the label "prepper", but how many people are truly prepared for a big shut down? Non perishable food? Water? Meds? Ability to keep warm in the winter?
    My home is a conventional 3 BR bungalow, heated with a furnace, well water, etc. All pretty much useless when no power? But, I've also got my cabin about 1/2 hour away with woodstove and propane cookstove. A tiled well with lots of water that I could pail out if the pump had no power. Lot's of canned meat (I did myself) and other food supplies not dependant on the grid. My family wouldnt starve or perish from cold. A simple solar system would give us light once the gas ran out. We'd be fine for several weeks or longer if need be. Anyone else? Could you last a month? A couple of weeks even without outside help?
    Pressure canned meat in the basement, veggies the same. We do not have a generator yet as funds did not allow it but when there is a call of a storm like this I fill up all the camping water jugs so we will have potable water if need be. It is now warm enough that I would not worry about freezing or my pipes freezing but we have a farm down the road we could go to with a wood stove and generator backup, the idea would be to shut off the breaker to the well, drain the water system and leave, nothing could be hurt.

The key is to have a plan.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It is good that the power goes out once in awhile - it makes people think about what they are going to do when it is out for a long time - if you live in the country things won't be so bad but if your in a city you can be in tough shape unless you have prepared yourself for a long outage - I'm ready for a long one - I have a wood burning stove and a lot of firewood - got a well also a creek and pond on the property - as far as food I'm always stocked up - buy 50lb of flour and rolled oats - lot of canned goods - big bags of bean, popcorn, rice, potatoes, - then there is the garden if the situation happens in the summer - lot of wild life around if I need meat - fish in the pond - so I'm ready for the big one - as the boy scouts motto was - be prepared - I always thought that the way the Amish live they won't even notice if the power is out -

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We have been out of power since 5 PM. on Friday, power was reconnected today just around 1 o'clock.
    I had most essentials running off our generator, water pump, 2 freezers and 2 fridges and sump pump,other than lack of lights, [we used some battery powered LED lights, everything worked out fine , no shortage of food or water and we could use our toilet.
    The only thing we missed is hot water , but that will be hooked up for next time we have a electrical black out.
    I had just the day before the storm and power outage, bought a "Transfer Switch " which will be wired in and the hot water heater will be hooked up to use .
    One thing I must say I am really impressed with the generator I bought last AUG.
    It is a Generac, 10,000 watts start up and 8,000 watts continuous running, it ran continuously for 68 hours without so much as a hick up, the only time it was down was to refuel and check the oil level as this was the first time it was running and put to use .

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Busmoose you hit this right on the head.The last time we were preparing for the ice storm,like 3 weeks ago,and potential outings, did a lot of soul search how are we going to survive if no hydro for a week in a dead of the winter..........other then food and water which we are Ok with for a week(or more) if we know it is coming......the heat issue still stays there non answered.
    Any idea guys hot to heat a city dwelling on gas Forced Air heating system,without gas and hydro.......and no chimney ?All i could come up with was-conserve the trapped in heat as long as possible,dress warm and hope for fast return to "normal".
    I think i am not alone with this issue.........?

Appreciate feedback.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We are set for a long time,our pantry gets called the store room. Even set with toilet paper as we don't just get a few on sale maybe 7 lol . It is something you need on a daily you can save more when get like 60 bucks at a time lol. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast