Thread: Cerkote for hunt Rifles

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Cerkote for hunt Rifles

Has anyone gotten any shotguns or rifles cerkote'd? Be it for function or aesthetics. Seems like a good way to weather proof to a degree and upgrade a stock black syntheic rifle/shotgun to something better looking. Im tossing around the idea for an 870 or rem 700. Curious to hear thoughts and/or recommendations on anywhere near the 905/705 to get it done.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think that stuff is basically the same as the Nitride coating that has been out for awhile..anything that helps protect our guns from the elements is a good thing...
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Not in 905 but Dean at Select Shooting Supplies in Cambridge does a great job, good price too!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I think that stuff is basically the same as the Nitride coating that has been out for awhile..anything that helps protect our guns from the elements is a good thing...
    Agree anything that protects our guns is good. Cerakote though is very different than Nitride. Cerakote is a coating in much the same manner as paint, teflon or the coating they put on tapcon screws - albeit a high performance high tech one that is great for corrosion resistance and reducing friction. Nitride on the other hand is a chemical treatment that chemically changes the metal with the same goals in mind. Because Nitride is not a coating it does not change any of the tolerances (not true for Cerakote) and treatment can be done to the inside of a barrel with no worries for instance. Nitride will never chip or crack either whereas Cerakote if subjected to the appropriate abuse will.

Which works better is debatable and both camps have their believers. Nitride is more durable for sure but I think Cerakote does a better job on corrosion protection. I have 2 rifles done in black Cerakote from the factory and quite like them.
    Last edited by Species8472; May 9th, 2018 at 11:28 PM.
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback gents, Ill check out Select Shooting Supplies for sure.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

This place does it as well, located in Newmarket.

http://tacord.com/