Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valley Bird Down

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Valley Bird Down

Took my cousin out for a hunt, he doesn't get much time to hunt since he is in school. We hit the open fields and heard gobbles deep inside hardwood valleys. After things went quite we decided to move and get closer to the hardwoods. We started to set up and get in position then in a blink of an eye a huge yote comes flying over the hill crest and smashes into our decoys, it scared the sh$t out of us LOL. I raised my gun and in the spur of the moment I forgot to take the safety off and the yote ran away. Things went quite again for two hours thanks to that yote. Around 9am we here gobbles coming from 3 valleys over, we decided to go after them and try to get closer. We drop all of our gear and start putting some miles on the boots. We ended up closing the distance on these Toms on top of a hill crest over looking the valleys. We took a moment to catch our breath then started to belly crawl up hill over dead fall and everything that you could throw at us. I didn't think we could do it but we closed the distance and got within 50 yards of two birds by using trees to hide our movements. I look at my cousin and tell him to take the bird on his right we counted to 3 and took our shot. The one i'm shooting at goes flop and flips down a step valley hill one hundred feet down into the valley. I asked him what happened and he told me he shot the bird that went down hill. After I started to laugh because we both shot at the same bird, from his angle he only saw the one bird LOL he used his tag because most likely he's not getting out anymore and there is know way to figure out who really got it first LOL anyways I guess its now my cousins bird since he wanted to use his tag but we worked hard for it together so it feels more like our bird. Such a fun hunt and glad to help another person bag a turkey. Bugs are starting to come out so get her done soon LOL Bird was 23 pounds, 9.5 beard, one inch spurs.

Last edited by tom gobble; May 9th, 2018 at 10:12 PM.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Great story and. A nice bird

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Congrats bud, well done

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Congrats..great story...nice to hear of guys still putting in the time and effort stalking for the payoff. The poor Tom didn't stand a chance with lead coming from two guns...LOL..
    Last edited by MikePal; May 10th, 2018 at 07:43 AM.

User Info Menu

An extraordinary effort resulting in a successful outcome, plus a bonus funny story! THAT is why we hunt
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Congrats on a fine bird to the both of you!
    Rod Embree
    KMG Hunting Safaris

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Nice bird congrats to you and your cousin

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Beautiful bird . Love the colours!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Great story and bird Tom....Good on your cousin.....

TJ

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Turkeyjohn;1060670]Great story and bird Tom....Good on your cousin.....
    Thanks at least we think some of his lead hit that bird lol but we will never know lol
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast