Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roughed Grouse in Decline!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

ADVERTISEMENT
    I wonder if the turkey population has an effect on the grouse. I hunt old pasture areas that have grown in with hawthorns and prickly ash which always had an abundance of grouse. Now with a healthy turkey population the area looks like it has been roto tilled as the turkeys scratch for food and I don't see many grouse at all any more.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Great post GMatthews. I own a few properties and I’m fully aware of the hard work you and your wife have done. It’s very rewarding and satisfying work. Good job.
    "When you piss in the wind, you will get your feet wet."
    Deer Hunter

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have been telling me hunting buddies for years.... small game hunting in Ontario is a bust. And the future doesn't look any better. The MNR focus is on the big game animals. Anybody read Steve Galeas article on Jack Rabbits??? The MNR decreased harvest limits on snowshoe rabbits but left jack rabbit harvest numbers as is. What a joke!!! Where I hunt there are tons more snowshoes than jacks but the limit is 2. Better yet they increased pheasant harvest limits?????? What pheasants???
    I believe the MNR has to make a partnership with the Roughed Grouse Society, landowners and the government to save areas of land and start rehabilitating it so that small game can thrive. Just like they do in the states. If it doesn't happen small game hunting in Ontario will be a thing of the past . The current farming practices don't provide any future as well. Some of my permissions have seen the bushes, that held game, gone. Fence rows gone! Where are animals that need these types of land suppose to survive. Pretty sad if you ask me!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123