Thread: Shot gun muzzle break

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Shot gun muzzle break

So I was wondering if anyone has used a muzzle break on their deer shotgun and if so, what are your thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I haven’t on shotgun but have on my smokeless ml.

It tames the recoil substantially.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

What are you shooting that you would consider investing in a muzzle break?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I had one on my .338 win mag. In fact everybody in our moose camp used them. We are now all near deaf. They work great at reducing recoil, turned the .338 into .308 level recoil but they destroy your hearing.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Make sure you wear foam ear plugs, plus b-rated muffs when you shoot it. I have a friend who permanently lost 40% of his mid and high frequency hearing from firing 9 rounds out of a BOSS ported 270 WSM with no hearing protection. He now has permanent tinnitus ringing/buzzing that's literally made him depressed. If I hunted with a brake, I'd be sure to wear electronic muffs. Even a single shot is doing your hearing permanent damage. Have heard of others using ported/braked shotguns in the duck blind with catastrophic impact on the other blind occupants and the dog!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    Make sure you wear foam ear plugs, plus b-rated muffs when you shoot it. I have a friend who permanently lost 40% of his mid and high frequency hearing from firing 9 rounds out of a BOSS ported 270 WSM with no hearing protection. He now has permanent tinnitus ringing/buzzing that's literally made him depressed. If I hunted with a brake, I'd be sure to wear electronic muffs. Even a single shot is doing your hearing permanent damage. Have heard of others using ported/braked shotguns in the duck blind with catastrophic impact on the other blind occupants and the dog!
    Blew my left eardrum using a ported Mossy 500 slug barrel. Sound bounced off a tree while sighting in the slugger and I could not hear out of it for three weeks.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    Make sure you wear foam ear plugs, plus b-rated muffs when you shoot it.
    Thanks for the cautionary input guys. A fella that shoots here installed a muzzle break on his .308 last year and I'm often near the firing point to help and wasn't aware of the repercussions of them.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto