Thread: Big thanks out to JMatthews

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Big thanks out to JMatthews

Was fortunate enough to be taken out by JMatthews this morning for a great turkey hunt. He said he knew of a spot with plenty of birds and he sure didn't disappoint. We were in and set up at 5 am and waited until the gobblers started sounding off. Plenty of them around. We had a jake rush in front of us only to be unsure of himself and run for a bit until he settled down. Wouldn't come to the decoy though. Then a hen came right in to us and hung around for about an hour or more eating and keeping to herself. Then suddenly, 5 or 6 birds show up, I can't remember how many but more than I've ever seen. 2 big toms, a few jakes and a couple of hens. They were about 200 yds off but wouldn't come in any closer. One interesting thing that I learned was how to call properly, John had lots of great tips on how and when to call. That was my biggest takeaway from a great morning. So many other tips as well that I'll be sure to put into practice.

Thanks again John, appreciate it very much of you spending your time with me, still looking to get my first one but I definitely feel more confident now with calling after having seen you do it properly.

Jems

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Priceless.
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That was pretty cool...
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Class act all the way, introducing new hunters to our sport is never time wasted.....

Thank you too from the rest of us Mr. Matthews...

TJ

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I was happy to take you out and despite not getting a bird, there was lots of action and opportunities to share some of my knowledge with you. Good luck hunting on your own. I’m sure you’ll have a few tools to help you bag a turkey.
    Thanks again for the kind words.
    John

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I had a fellow hunter, Louie David, from FErgus help me out my first year. It sure shortens the learning curve. Thanks to all the John Matthews of the world that take the time to help out other hunters.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Louie’s a great guy and fun to hunt with.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Turkeyjohn;1060773]Class act all the way, introducing new hunters to our sport is never time wasted.....

Thank you too from the rest of us Mr. Matthews...quote TJ

X2