Thread: Late season

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Late season

Pretty slow year for me. Was up north for 3 day hunt saw nice tom at 40yds but didn't like the shot so passed. Last weekend at home saw my first birds of the season 300yds and heading other way. Today figure I would go fishing and call it quits for the season, but no one able to fish today so went to new bush. Sitting by 5am, gobbling started at 510. Birds gobbled on and off for hour, but never got closer to me. Yote came by 20yds out but couldn't get gun around on it. At 610 decided I would take trail to other side of bush and gobbles. Stopped 20yds inside watching field. Gave a couple quick calls than waited. 10 minutes later 2 jakes come out. I take the lead jake at 40yds. other hangs out for 10min more than takes off. Not a great bird, better than tag soup.
    photobucket.com/user/sabmgb/media/20180526_063553_zpse3trf8hq.jpg.html][/URL]
    Last edited by sabmgb; May 26th, 2018 at 10:19 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Congrats on the bird. Don't know why anyone would belittle a good hunt and some tasty vittles
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    Pretty slow year for me. Was up north for 3 day hunt saw nice tom at 40yds but didn't like the shot so passed. Last weekend at home saw my first birds of the season 300yds and heading other way. Today figure I would go fishing and call it quits for the season, but no one able to fish today so went to new bush. Sitting by 5am, gobbling started at 510. Birds gobbled on and off for hour, but never got closer to me. Yote came by 20yds out but couldn't get gun around on it. At 610 decided I would take trail to other side of bush and gobbles. Stopped 20yds inside watching field. Gave a couple quick calls than waited. 10 minutes later 2 jakes come out. I take the lead jake at 40yds. other hangs out for 10min more than takes off. Not a great bird, better than tag soup.
    photobucket.com/user/sabmgb/media/20180526_063553_zpse3trf8hq.jpg.html][/URL]
    Any legal bird is a great bird. Especially with only a week left...Congrats and great story...

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Congrats on getting it done... Sure will taste good
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice bird and great story. You were successful no matter if it was a Jake or Tom . Congrats
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Way to go!

I give you credit for going out.

It hit 32C here yesterday. I had thoughts of a morning hunt to fill my second tag but decided to end my season & stay by the pool... lol

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Congrats, that will make a fine eating bird!
    Rod Embree
    KMG Hunting Safaris

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Congrats.
    Glen

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I didn't mean to sound like I was belittling it. I actually prefer Jake's. It was good eat at least half. The other half I will give to to farmer who is gracious enough to let me hunt his property.