Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singing, whistling, yelling banned on Muskoka lake

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Singing, whistling, yelling banned on Muskoka lake

Rather a draconian measure...no more signing kumbaya around the camp fire ..LOL....

Yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling, and singing are banned on a lake in Muskoka this summer.

The Township of Georgian Bay passed a bylaw amendment in March, effectively turning Myers Lake into a 24-hour quiet zone.
    Photos
    Myers Lake

Yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling, and singing are banned on Myers Lake in Georgian Bay Township, Ont. (Rob Cooper/ CTV Barrie)

“We’re in the stages of testing it for the summer,” says Mayor Larry Braid. “Basically they have to keep quiet for the most part throughout the day.”

Braid says they received several complaints in 2017 about noise on the lake, which is located south of MacTier. There are 61 properties that circle the lake.

Under the amended bylaw, “yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling, singing or other similar human sound” is prohibited.

“Operation of any electronic device or group speakers or other electromechanical transducers, and intended for the production, reproduction or amplification of noise” is also banned.

Braid admits the main issue stems from people using loud stereo systems.

“I don’t imagine our bylaw officer is going to give someone a ticket just for singing. However, if it goes out through a boom box, and you can hear it several hundred feet away, that’s likely going to be offensive to neighbours up there.”

Someone who violates the bylaw could face a $180 fine. People who rent out their cottages could also be fined if their tenants don’t adhere to the changes.

Council will take the summer to see how the new rules are received by residents. If things don’t go well, the amendments could be scrapped.

If the bylaw works, it could be implemented in other areas of the township.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/singing-wh...lake-1.3934676

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well since earbuds reproduce sound, and it is a lot of the time singing( if you can call it that). Those are banned as well. So are all transceivers that have a speaker or headphones on them. So no two way radios for search and rescue, or and electronic communications devices.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If anyone wants to witness the playground of the "entitled elite",just go up to Muskokas. What a joke.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

yep that's silly .
    We stayed at a camp ground one time , had the radio going on very low barly here it but was told to turn it off . Nobody in the sites beside us and even know it was on min it was not aloud. That was the last we stayed there. If it's not bothering anyone then it should be aloud. No music at a campfire lol too funny. Glad I won't be around there.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

But chainsaws are OK?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Hopefully they'll include wave runners, racket you can hear from far away.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Better hope you wife isn't a screamer...might limit your summer fun

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

"On one lake in Muskoka...", definitely not on one of the big three where the elite is. Probably a bush of old fart that has a tough time with loud music and fun toys.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

That lake is barely over 80 acres in size, it wouldn't be much fun on any kind of water craft with a motor

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Unreal. I would think challenging a ticket in court wouldn't be too difficult unless they park a bylaw officer there 24/7.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast