Thread: Looking for a game cooler in the shining tree area

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Looking for a game cooler in the shining tree area

Hello all, heading up to the Shining Tree area for a DIY bear hunt. I have sent emails to many outfitters looking for a facility to hang game meat as there are 3 hunting and I expect warm weather.

Any leads would be great

Thanks in advance
    Scott

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I lived up that area for 10 years and I can't recall anything. Since the decline in the moose hunt there is not much value to the local businesses offering this service.

What I would do is pick up an old freezer and throw it in your truck. That combined with a generator for several hours a day should keep your meat safe till you get home. Even better if you can give a local business a few bucks to plug it in.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...ht=game+cooler

I don't know a place .... But I can give you the solution ....
    I was in same situation as you and I builded a portable cooler
    400 litre-kg capacity using ice 60 kg and is +1C inside for 8 days in August
    with 4.5 in purple foam isolation , basically is a plywood box in and outside ,
    lined with plastic sheath . I freeze the water at home in
    Canadian Tire sold 10 litre blue box the broke into smaller piece as you need ..
    or in 10 litre water jug
    I bone out the bear and put in zip lock bags , put in the bottom of the box and cover
    with camping foam pad to trap the cold , and then close the lid of the box also with 3.5 in isolation .
    You could freeze it on the way home if you research the area where to buy dry ice .
    But that is not necessary ...

Good luck

http://www.camcarb.com/SudburyPropan...erOntario.html

Quote Originally Posted by bow-tech hunter View Post
    Hello all, heading up to the Shining Tree area for a DIY bear hunt. I have sent emails to many outfitters looking for a facility to hang game meat as there are 3 hunting and I expect warm weather.

Any leads would be great

Thanks in advance
    Scott
    Last edited by alfoldivandor; May 25th, 2018 at 06:03 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Like has been said. You can replace the water ice with dry ice. Just don't let the meat touch the dry ice or you will burn it, and also remember that there will be pressure build up so let it vent. DO NOT put your head inside the box and breath, it could be the last thing you ever do. The box will be full of CO2 and one breath will make your head start to spin a couple more and you could be out cold.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Try Elk Lake-it is reasonably big,your best chances are there,it is "not that far"from Shining Tree area.............depends where you will be there..........also Kirkland Lake is "there "but that will be like 2 hrs drive at best...let us know how you made out.It is great area for bear hunt!
    Last edited by gbk; May 25th, 2018 at 11:46 AM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have a 8x10 walk in cooler for my bear hunters. I am in Sudbury and i think you are an hr and half away. Let me know if you need it.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

We take up a 4 foot freezer.
    pack it with gear/bait for the ride up. plug in and we debone and vac seal all bear cuts and freeze right away. Bear hides go in there also. never an issue.
    IMO - The advantage of the freezer is that it's dry cold, not wet cold like ice cubes would be. and the meat is frozen not just cooled.
    bear meat needs to be properly handled. it can go WRONG real quick.
    We're having bear burgers tonight! MMMMM! MMMM! GOOD!

lot's of good ideas already posted so pick your poison.

anyway .... that's the way we do it.
    good luck!
    Last edited by SK33T3R; May 25th, 2018 at 06:10 PM.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas, we have a freezer and going to take up frozen water to cool. Actually I did find a outfitter that will hang our meat. Skull, many thanks for the offer. I will reply with the results!!
    Thanks again all

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I was going to say there is a bear outfitter in the shining tree area, but I bet you found him already.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    We take up a 4 foot freezer.
    pack it with gear/bait for the ride up. plug in and we debone and vac seal all bear cuts and freeze right away. Bear hides go in there also. never an issue.
    IMO - The advantage of the freezer is that it's dry cold, not wet cold like ice cubes would be. and the meat is frozen not just cooled.
    bear meat needs to be properly handled. it can go WRONG real quick.
    We're having bear burgers tonight! MMMMM! MMMM! GOOD!

lot's of good ideas already posted so pick your poison.

anyway .... that's the way we do it.
    good luck!
    That how my buddies did it for many decades.