Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time Hunter, first harvest!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default First time Hunter, first harvest!

So I just started hunting last year. Taught myself what I could and went out a few times with some veteran hunters (for deer and turkey). But this was the first year I was doing the hunts on my own, and haven't harvested anything to date.

Went out to a parcel of land that I have permission to hunt on and the moment I stepped in the fields (around 05:30) I could hear a chorus of gobbles. Hard to triangulate but I had general sense of where they were roosting. I set up my decors (a 1/2 strut Jake and a breeder hen) and found a nice forested area 20 yards away to set up. I called intermittently, with some soft purrs and clucks so they would know I'm there. Suddenly, when the sun came out it was radio silence. I couldn't hear anything and saw 0 turkeys.

I continued to call (not too much though) and no responses. This went on for 3 hours before I packed up an walked to an open area and tried to locate more Gobblers. I could hear something in the distance but it sounded REALLY far away, so I setup as best as I could and hoped I could call 1 in. After another 2 hours of nothing, I decided it was almost time to call it a day. I closed my eyes for a few minutes and was immediately interrupted by the sound of a loud gobble no more then 60 yards to my right.

From the corner of my eye I could see him walking down the treeline, pecking away.
    I made a few really quiet purrs and he responded. Carefully, I pulled my gun up and readied it. It took him 10 minutes to meander close enough to see the decoys. He immediately started strutting and drumming and spitting. He came close and closer while my heart pounded out of my chest. Then I took my shot and he went down. After a few flops he was dead.

I know this sounds overly dramatic but it felt dramatic to me. I went over and put my hand on the turkey and said my thanks and inspected the bird. 1.5'' spur, 7.5'' beard.

I took the bird out, breasted him, took all the meat I could and cut off his tail fan so I could make something for my 2 year old in his room who is obsessed with Turkeys.

It was everything I imagined it to be, and completely different that what I thought. Lots of emotion, but more pride then anything. I worked hard, I practiced, I read up, I listened to the advice I could gather and it bore me and my family meat for the evening and more in the freezer for days to come.

If you are a first time hunter this is my advice to you:

It's worth it. It's so worth it. Just do your homework, practice and be PATIENT. These forums are EXTREMELY useful and everyone is super helpful. I can't wait to keep hunting, and get my boy into it in a few years. He already comes scouting with me in September and October for deer. Looking forward to learning more and getting more involved!

IMG_20180512_111027-EFFECTS.jpg

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Pretty hard to beat that feeling of success.
    Congratulations hopefully many more to come

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Awesome story! I also just harvested my first bird and saying "do your homework and participate in these forums being extremely helpful" is an understatement. The more you do your homework and the more time you spend being in "turkey mode" (or any other animal for that matter) the more confident and prepared you will and the outcome will be that much more rewarding. I can honestly say that refocusing my life around hunting has really impacted me in all other facets of life! Congrats again, and the fact you're little one is already interested is a beautiful thing and what it is all about!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Congrats on your first bird. I've been hunting well over 50 years and I still get excited when a gobbler responds and starts coming in.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Great job congrats, it took me awhile for my first bird and I was like you self taught. You will never forget it that’s for sure. The more you hunt and make mistakes, the more you will learn, just have fun doing it and the reward will come. like it did for you. Big hooks on that bird
    Last edited by tom gobble; May 14th, 2018 at 05:21 PM.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Welcome to the club of obsession.....took me 7 years to get my first and haven't looked back since,

Huge Congrats on getting a bird your second season...

TJ

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Like others have mention I was self taught also, congrats on your first bird, it is very addictive
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newhunter81 View Post
    . After another 2 hours of nothing, I decided it was almost time to call it a day. I closed my eyes for a few minutes and was immediately interrupted by the sound of a loud gobble no more then 60 yards to my right.
    And another birds down to snooze and gun. Tell me did you have that "I'm I dreaming or is he really there " thought?
    Gets the heart pumping
    congrats
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Apprentice

User Info Menu

congrates on your first bird . Well done

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Good for you!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast