Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are the bears

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

They're all out in the fields where I live, completely avoiding the swamps/bush. They're pigging out on the massive crop of dandelion flowers and largetooth aspen leaves from what I can see. Easy pickings. Tons of activity in the fields and nothing in the bush. Not sure if you'd have much activity/hits if you baited deep in the woods.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    They're all out in the fields where I live, completely avoiding the swamps/bush. They're pigging out on the massive crop of dandelion flowers and largetooth aspen leaves from what I can see. Easy pickings. Tons of activity in the fields and nothing in the bush. Not sure if you'd have much activity/hits if you baited deep in the woods.
    It was a late spring and it's amazing how any natural food source can actually pull bears off of baits. Many a bear hunter has been left shaking his head wondering why a bait with multiple bears would suddenly go dead. Mother nature is not kind.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    It was a late spring and it's amazing how any natural food source can actually pull bears off of baits. Many a bear hunter has been left shaking his head wondering why a bait with multiple bears would suddenly go dead. Mother nature is not kind.
    Yep, that happened to me back when I first started baiting. Had lots of bears hitting the bait and then all of a sudden they stopped for over a week. Couldn't figure it out and then they came back and their scat was full of acorn shells. Bingo. Another lesson I learned that year was don't put your bait in the open if you want them to come in during daylight, even though I was on the edge of the bush. The next year I moved that bait less than a hundred yards but in the bush and sure enough I got that big sow in my avatar. A perfect case of learning from experience.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    That,s not going to happen the poor bears will be drunk after eating all those grapes and the MNR will bring in a new charge "hunt bears while impaired".
    Grapes don't ferment till after they freeze in the fall or you put them in a barrel. I personally like the second option.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Headed back out saturday left it for a week with lots of food will see if they come back

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Scott View Post
    Headed back out saturday left it for a week with lots of food will see if they come back
    Stick with it! They know where you are. Usually by this time of the season almost all bears should have they stomachs running in fifth gear.
    The only other scenario I can figure is there may be another hunter close by and he's feeding better bait then you. Not knowing what your using just leaves me guessing. Check your bait - is it still edible - question I always ask myself - would I eat it. If the answer is NO then dump it all out 20 yds away for the ravens and varmints and refill with fresh. A hot sun heating up a barrel with moist bait soaked in grease can turn pretty quick. When I had other hunters close by I never worried because I always fed better and fresher. Something to think about.

Anyway if you know for a fact that there isn't any competition from other hunters and if your bait is still good then patience is going to be a necessary quality.
    Keep us posted with your adventures.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    My bait still isn't hit. It is in the thick swamp, maybe this is the reason. The bait is NE of Belleville.
    Things that fly turn me on

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The bears are back the bait is still fresh but i dumped some out and put other fresh bait in seemed to work ty for some good advice

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Got a text from the old man today, my bait has been hit. Sometime between Saturday and today.
    Things that fly turn me on

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Good luck hope you get 1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast