Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my cheapness affecting my harvest rate lol

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Is my cheapness affecting my harvest rate lol

I have been using the same primos turkey decoys for about 15 years now. B-mobile with a real fan and a hen x2 and jake. I have harvested around 25 or so birds. Last 3-4 seasons though I have had to work real hard for birds. (can't blame the decoys if the birds aren't around). But I have noticed over the last few years that the birds don't react to the decoys like they once did.

I also notice that it seems, based on watching youtube videos and tv shows that guys using these new modern expensive very realistic looking decoys are wacking birds pretty good.

I really have issues justifying spending 100 bucks on a turkey decoy, esp when I know that probably only half my birds have actually been shot using decoys. The youtube videos rarely show the failures with these decoys.

I'd like to know if bird always respond so well to these decoys are its still a big hit an miss?
    Things that fly turn me on

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Short answer is NO. I have harvested birds over the el' chepo decoys that were made with two pieces of foam sewn together and a shoelace for beard. I am still using my Bobbin' Head decoys that are getting on 9-10 years now and they work just fine.

I went out this AM and shot one with no decoy at all - it is so thick in there right now by the time he figures there is not hen around he is WELL within gun range. If you WANT new decoys by all means go and buy them but IMHO you do not NEED them.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

No, you don't need new decoys. Do I run nice new ones? Yeah, but that's for me, not the bird.

Are you always running a five bird spread? There's a time and a place for a strutter, but sometimes this late in the season it's a gamble. The gobblers are split up, and know their place in the food chain. A two year old is likely to tuck tail.

This late in the season I like to run a jake/hen for a field setup, and no decoys in the bush.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I've used cheapy decoys for years as I can't justify the money spent into a big brand decoy. I've seen the expensive ones used successfully and I do think if they are ultra realistic, you'll get the birds fighting them and knocking them over... But for me, a decoy is a visual distraction to keep the birds eyes off you as he comes in and if it brings him in from afar, I don't think even the best seeing bird will notice the difference between a 100 and a 20 decoy....My two cents anyway....

TJ

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I only use one Hen decoy & it's an el-cheapo & works if I can get a bird to look my way...lol

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

David Smith has a special on seconds, save 33.33 %.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I like the bobble head decoys,if you can find them now.Turkeys pick up movement from 5-600 yards,even if your in camouflage,lol.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    I only use one Hen decoy & it's an el-cheapo & works if I can get a bird to look my way...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I like the bobble head decoys,if you can find them now.Turkeys pick up movement from 5-600 yards,even if your in camouflage,lol.
    Ditto..been using a single 'Bobble Head' hen for years..just shot a nice Tom using one last week. Same as last year.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Guiding in the spring I find that the ultra realistic decoys really helps me to get away with some client indiscretions (i.e. movement at the wrong time) because the birds are so hyper focused on the decoys. I know the clients appreciate the opportunity to hunt over them and it reflects positively on my business. The relatively steep price point in comparison to a Delta or Feather Flex decoy does deter some.

I have a DSD breeding jake/hen pair, two first generation AVIAN X hens and a B Mobile with a full fan that I run throughout the season and then there are times we run no decoys especially when trying to kill a bird I may have worked before.

Some fellas take great pride in using no decoys or the cheapest they can find to fill their tags so I guess it all boils down to just using what makes you happy.

Personally I like the higher end decoys as generally, they make my job just a little bit easier.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

A sample of a few of the birds killed with decoys this spring

IMG_2933h.jpg

IMG_2940h.jpg

IMG_2944h.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast