Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooner or later your day will come........and it was today

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Sooner or later your day will come........and it was today

I have been chasing this turkey for some time now. His M.O. is exactly the same.......every time - he is in an island bush and he gobbles on the roost and he gobbles on the ground but he does NOT move. I have tried several different set-ups (decoys, no decoys) and could not get him to commit. My buddy even tried a couple of times as well and he had no luck either. Once we had him gobbling at our calls for 3hrs!!! Then we went silent for a bit thinking that maybe it would bring him out for a look see and after an hour of hearing squat as soon as I put the peg to slate he sounds off in the EXACT same spot as he was 3hrs earlier.

So I figured if he is not coming out I'm coming in for him. So I brought a blind with me and set it up in a small clearing almost in the middle of the island bush. I waited until legal and heard nothing..........5:30 and still nothing........at 5:45 I hear a distant gobble behind me. I answered with a couple of clucks and he gobbled again. I waited 10 min and I called again and he gobbled again and it sounded like he was right behind me closing in so I set down the call and pick up Nelly and then he sounds off again - he was not coming in from behind me he was coming in at my 11 o'clock. After that it was textbook.......three steps gobble gobble & strut, three steps gobble gobble & strut........BOOM.

I let the lead fly at 6:05 and finally put down the bird that has caused me so much grief this season. Of all my birds this was probably one of the most satisfying hunts!

IMG_0170.jpg IMG_0138.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Great job Bud, feels special to close the deal on a nemesis like that bird....and now you don't have to second guess your strategy until next spring....

Congrats and great photos....

TurkeyJohn

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Good job man!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Persistence pays off, congrats!
    Rod Embree
    KMG Hunting Safaris

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Nice, way to hang in there

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Well done congrats, patience, patience, patience, easier said then done

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    I have been chasing this turkey for some time now. His M.O. is exactly the same.......every time - he is in an island bush and he gobbles on the roost and he gobbles on the ground but he does NOT move. I have tried several different set-ups (decoys, no decoys) and could not get him to commit. My buddy even tried a couple of times as well and he had no luck either. Once we had him gobbling at our calls for 3hrs!!! Then we went silent for a bit thinking that maybe it would bring him out for a look see and after an hour of hearing squat as soon as I put the peg to slate he sounds off in the EXACT same spot as he was 3hrs earlier.

So I figured if he is not coming out I'm coming in for him. So I brought a blind with me and set it up in a small clearing almost in the middle of the island bush. I waited until legal and heard nothing..........5:30 and still nothing........at 5:45 I hear a distant gobble behind me. I answered with a couple of clucks and he gobbled again. I waited 10 min and I called again and he gobbled again and it sounded like he was right behind me closing in so I set down the call and pick up Nelly and then he sounds off again - he was not coming in from behind me he was coming in at my 11 o'clock. After that it was textbook.......three steps gobble gobble & strut, three steps gobble gobble & strut........BOOM.

I let the lead fly at 6:05 and finally put down the bird that has caused me so much grief this season. Of all my birds this was probably one of the most satisfying hunts!

IMG_0170.jpg IMG_0138.jpg
    Congrats.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Great Story! Nice Bird!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Congrats!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Sweet bird, like I did this year. Sometimes you just have to go to them. Congrats
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast