Thread: Brown trout kawarathas

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Brown trout kawarathas

Hi I would love to explore brown trout options around the Bancroft area. I was hoping you could point me in the right direction to find browns in or around the Kawarthas. I see that eels creek is stocked but being such a large area its a needle in a haystack. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated. Feel free to msg me

thanks and tight lines,
    Gil

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

This list of the internet might help a little,they don,t seem to stock much Brown Trout for one reason or another,hopefully some locals will advise.

http://www.algonkinflyfishers.com/up...-2013-2017.pdf

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaing View Post
    Hi I would love to explore brown trout options around the Bancroft area. I was hoping you could point me in the right direction to find browns in or around the Kawarthas. I see that eels creek is stocked but being such a large area its a needle in a haystack. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated. Feel free to msg me

thanks and tight lines,
    Gil
    Hey Gil~I've fished on/off up in the Kawartha's (Halliburton-Bobcaygeon area mostly)...and I've never seen a brown. I've seen only one sign (Drag River) that even indicated there might be some stockers but I've never seen any evidence of it. In fact, I've explored most area brook trout creeks/streams I've ever even heard a hint about being decent...and all but one of them had no trout at all, nor did they look like any good trout stream I've ever fished. Seems that only once you get about as far north as Huntsville that you start seeing promising/trout-y rivers and when fished...you'll actually start getting brook trout. Back to the Halliburton area~it's also important to remember that most of the rivers around there warm-up so much that they simply can't sustain a cold water fish. Especially true of brookies, which are super temperature-sensitive.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

The Irondale River has huge browns, last time I was there, brookies too.

Scotts Dam, Furnace Falls, Devils Gap all stocked.
    Last edited by Brookie; March 19th, 2019 at 09:21 AM.