2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I prefer mechanicals IMHO - NAP Spitfires 125Gr in my Micro 335

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Ive had good luck on all my deer with excal boltcutters...they havent given me any reason to switch for deer...I could see a wide mechanical doing a better job on a bear like lowbanks stated...dont want the hole to plug up and loose the blood trail.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I used fixed blades for years, but tried a Rage mechanical last year - hated it! Lost a small buck because of it.
    Then tried Excalibur's mechanical this past fall and it was great on a deer!
    Look into them.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

had same bow, muzzys or slick tricks flew great, and very cheap, so many other options though, my buddy loves the excel heads

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have used crossbow broadheads for deer hunting and they work really well but I prefer fixed....That is polished tricks. Just look for what comes out of your bow and practice to be competent with that combo.
    Last edited by Bolivar; July 29th, 2018 at 07:56 AM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I prefer fixed broadheads as well. Never had any reason to switch from 150gr. boltcutters for my matrix.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I have used both slick trick mags and grim reaper 100's and both have done very well in terms of penetration and blood trails. It seems like my lighter arrows preferred the slick tricks and my much heavier arrows I have used for the past 2 years worked best with the reapers. Just don't trust a manufacturer's "practice" heads (sacrifice one as a practice head instead), in my experience very few of them fly like the actual heads out past 25-30 yards.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    I used fixed blades for years, but tried a Rage mechanical last year - hated it! Lost a small buck because of it.
    Then tried Excalibur's mechanical this past fall and it was great on a deer!
    Look into them.
    I will x2 the Excalibur mechanicals as I used them for years before switching to the Rage.

I am curious how you lost a deer because of the broadhead?
    Things that fly turn me on

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I use the rage crossbow broadheads. They fit the larger diameter bolts well compared to broadheads designed for arrow for vertical bows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast