Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rings for Browning BLR

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Rings for Browning BLR

I've got a Browning BLR in 308 that I tried to mount my scope to. The scope is a Leupold vx3 4.5-14. I bought the lowest rings that would fit the scope (med) and when I went to bore sight I ran out of adjustment before I could line up the laser with the crosshairs (the laser stayed too low). I always try to use the lowest rings possible and have never ran into this problem. Do I need to use high rings? My options are limited as I want silver rings.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but why do you think high rings would help? If the laser is lower than the crosshairs, you must be trying to lower the crosshairs and you are running out of adjustment. Higher rings would just make this worse. Furthermore, you would likely have to lift your cheek off the stock, which will make your shooting a bit erratic.
    Are the front and rear bases and rings the same height? If not, it's possible that you have them reversed. If they are the same height, you might want to return the rings and go with some from a different company that has a designed the rings and bases properly. Another option is to shim the rear base or ring upwards to bring the crosshairs down. You should not have to do this though if the rings and bases are properly designed. I've had to do this for one of my rifles that was modified. I made several shims from an aluminum can and stacked them under the rear base. It was pretty Bubba, but it works. Years later I ended up talking to a gun shop because I was purchasing another rifle from them built on a similar platform, and the guy basically told me that I must have the wrong combination of front and rear bases or rings on my existing rifle.
    Last edited by rf2; June 1st, 2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Just starting out

User Info Menu

With my BLR, I had to go with see through bases to get extra height. That was so I could work the hammer with gloves on since the eyepiece was directly above the hammer.
    I don't recall the mounts having a front and back, it is a very flat top.

Have to ask just in case. Are you trying to get the scope crosshair and laser to line up exactly, or did you print a custom laser bore sighting target to sight in with? Triple check the data plotted onto the custom printed target.
    One Shot = One Kill

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

At what distance are you bore sighting? The laser and crosshairs need to align at about 25 yards. At, say, 10 feet, the laser will always be low.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Useless View Post
    I've got a Browning BLR in 308 that I tried to mount my scope to. The scope is a Leupold vx3 4.5-14. I bought the lowest rings that would fit the scope (med) and when I went to bore sight I ran out of adjustment before I could line up the laser with the crosshairs (the laser stayed too low). I always try to use the lowest rings possible and have never ran into this problem. Do I need to use high rings? My options are limited as I want silver rings.
    Check that your scope is level with the rifle and you've set proper eye relief. Carefully measure the distance between the center of the bore and center of the crosshairs (obviously,they'll need to be re-centered,first). For medium height scope rings,the distance should be 1 1/2". The target grid should have height markings. using a distance to target grid of 10-20',simply set the laser dot on center grid and align cross hairs to the corresponding height measurement above the laser dot. Take rifle to a range for fine tuning.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I tried changing scope rings to higher rings today. The position of the laser relative to the crosshairs did not change. I turned the rings all of the way to the up position and it will not align. I counted there are 142 clicks on the scope. It's a Leupold vx3 3.5-10 x 40 mm. I tried using the entire length of my basement and a wall 10 feet away. There is no change. I'm wondering if it could be the scope? Towards the ends of the adjustment range there seems to be almost no movement. This happens for both windage and elevation. Not sure what to do now.
    Last edited by Useless; September 3rd, 2018 at 01:39 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

At that close range the laser is supposed to be below the crosshairs. Your bore is likely about 1.5" lower than your sight line. Line up the windage as best you can and start at 25yds.
    if you can't move windage your rings are likely not installed properly. What kind of rings are you using? Reinstall it and return the scope to its dead Center point in both elevation and windage. Then tweek the windage ( left/right) by adjusting your rear ring on the base. The laser should be 1-2" below Center of crosshairs.
    Last edited by terrym; September 3rd, 2018 at 02:03 PM.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I've had trouble with the laser before as well. Maybe it would be best to get out and sight it in the old fashioned way.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I use a different type of boresighter, and after using it for several scopes now, I've noticed that if I align my scope cross hairs with the cross hairs of the boresighter, I always have to make pretty major adjustments when I sight in. I've concluded that there is an alignment issue with the boresighter, so I now align the scope cross hairs with a different spot on the boresighter grid which is below and to the right of the boresighter cross hairs. Doing this results in very good results when I sight in. All of this is to say that maybe it is the boresighter that is the problem.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    At that close range the laser is supposed to be below the crosshairs. Your bore is likely about 1.5" lower than your sight line. Line up the windage as best you can and start at 25yds.
    if you can't move windage your rings are likely not installed properly. What kind of rings are you using? Reinstall it and return the scope to its dead Center point in both elevation and windage. Then tweek the windage ( left/right) by adjusting your rear ring on the base. The laser should be 1-2" below Center of crosshairs.
    His rear ring may not have any windage adjustment. Many don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast