Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Winner of the ood big gobbler contest

  1. #11
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Would expect a format that gave every bird posted a raffle ticket into a draw at the end for a grand prize would of got more reports.
    That's actually a really good suggestion.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    thanks tom_gobble for running the contest. I would agree if someone else picks this up it might be better to do a draw. I posted my bird and story that I got late season, but not in the contest section, as it wouldn't have beat any birds as it was a jake. It was good eating, just not good enough to stand a chance of winning.

  4. #13
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    My thoughts exactly on the way the prizes were laid out. FFF is correct in there should always be a chance for a prize for any entry, post up a bird and story and get entered in the draw. That and if there are multiple prizes why just wrap them into one big prize with only one winner??? Lots of options that will encourage people to post, biggest bird then 2nd, 3rd...........prize for smallest bird is a common one as well. With the format this year if you seen that your score was beat why bother posting your bird?? My second bird would have came in a real close second but didn’t bother posting up as TJ had me beat (by less than a 1/4 point). Lack of birds harvested was definitely NOT a reason for the poor post turnout. I know a number of guys that signed up, got their 2 birds and didn’t post them up.

    In no way is this a slam on you tomgobble, I appreciate you running the contest.
    Last edited by duckslayer; June 8th, 2018 at 09:32 AM.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

  5. #14
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The raffle is a great idea....encourages everyone to at least get a bird in and have supplemental draws for biggest, etc., perhaps even break down into biggest spurs, longest beards....anything to get more folks on board and involved....mystery draws even, lowest score even??

    Thanks again for running the contest Tom, I do hope someone picks up and runs with next year, and does look like it's going to be a little more work if it does go to a draw format, but change is good....

    TJ

  6. #15
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    That's actually a really good suggestion.
    Thanks every once in a while like to come up with a good one just to balance every thing out
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

  7. #16
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    One of the problems with lack of contribution may have been the format of the contest. With a winner takes all approach it doesn't encourage people to post if their bird doesn't beat what's already up there.
    Would expect a format that gave every bird posted a raffle ticket into a draw at the end for a grand prize would of got more reports.
    You have a good idea, but that requires me to do more work. People already don't even add up there own score LOL they wait for me to do the math
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

  8. #17
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    My thoughts exactly on the way the prizes were laid out. FFF is correct in there should always be a chance for a prize for any entry, post up a bird and story and get entered in the draw. That and if there are multiple prizes why just wrap them into one big prize with only one winner??? Lots of options that will encourage people to post, biggest bird then 2nd, 3rd...........prize for smallest bird is a common one as well. With the format this year if you seen that your score was beat why bother posting your bird?? My second bird would have came in a real close second but didn’t bother posting up as TJ had me beat (by less than a 1/4 point). Lack of birds harvested was definitely NOT a reason for the poor post turnout. I know a number of guys that signed up, got their 2 birds and didn’t post them up.

    In no way is this a slam on you tomgobble, I appreciate you running the contest.
    Thanks Duckslayer no offence taken. There are tones of options and different ways to run a contest but with the lack of prizes I didn't want to split up the prize pack for the fact of other then the custom calls and mouth calls what are you going to do with a truck sticker LOL its not worth the shipping. So thats why I did it the way I did. FFF had a good idea but it requires more work and constantly checking peoples scores, I want to enjoy the season too LOL My goal was to encourage people to get out and have fun, the prizes where a bonus thanks to gobble stalker and turkey slayer calls. Thanks again for peoples ideas and if anyone wants to follow through on those ideas i will forward my contacts.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

  9. #18
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I noticed that there were entries with no score, I was wondering what was up with that. I would think that just tickets for each entry would be easier, no scoring unless the person wanted to put in the post to show how good it was, which would be nice, but the person running it would just have to check at the end of the season give a ticket out for each entry, put in your hat and draw a prize.

  10. #19
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    I noticed that there were entries with no score, I was wondering what was up with that. I would think that just tickets for each entry would be easier, no scoring unless the person wanted to put in the post to show how good it was, which would be nice, but the person running it would just have to check at the end of the season give a ticket out for each entry, put in your hat and draw a prize.
    Good idea, forget the hole scoring thing in general and everyone who enters a bird regardless of size gets a chance to win. I like it. Even could do a video of picking the name out.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

  11. #20
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    Good idea, forget the hole scoring thing in general and everyone who enters a bird regardless of size gets a chance to win. I like it. Even could do a video of picking the name out.
    Yup that's what I was getting too.
    That would encourage everyone to get out and celebrate the outing. Changing the attitude from focusing on the "trophy" too congrats on the hunt.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •