Thread: Birds still on the roost at 12:30?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Default Birds still on the roost at 12:30?

It rained pretty hard in Ottawa overnight and this morning. By lunch time it had stopped. I was out for a run at lunch and I saw a group of at least 7 wild turkeys still in their roost trees. This is in an agricultural area and I spotted them from quite a distance away because they were in some dead trees (likely ash) that were basically in a fence row between agricultural fields. Is it normal for turkeys to stay on the roost until this late in the day if it rains?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not entirely sure but it doesn't surprise me, when I don't get a good night sleep I stay in bed longer too ....... They could have been scared up into the tress by a passing coyote or something too?
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

This time of year they don't roost in trees without foliage so as fratri said they could have been spooked up there OR maybe they were turkey vultures. Were you close enough to see they were turkeys?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Are you sure they were Turkeys ? and not Turkey Vultures as Turkey Vultures do spend time in dead trees to dry themselves off, around here, we see this quite often.

After I posted this , I see that Stubble Bum and I were typing at the same time, he was faster with his post.
    Last edited by jaycee; June 4th, 2018 at 05:48 PM.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure they were turkeys. A couple of them were ruffled up, and it's in an area where I frequently see turkeys. They were also very large - the size of turkeys, which I believe are quite a bit meatier than turkey vultures. Anyway, I thought it was strange, so I guess I'm not the only one.
    Last edited by rf2; June 5th, 2018 at 07:34 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It could just be the fact that they are in the city and have a reduced number of predators, the birds around the city of Ottawa do weird things, as do the deer and coyotes. Coyotes out at noon, deer eating lunch in the open fields in the middle of the day, Turkeys chasing down elderly people outside the retirement homes, weird stuff.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    ..., the birds around the city of Ottawa do weird things, as do the deer and coyotes. .....
    Cue comment about people around Ottawa...

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I was hunting in the rain a few years ago, I was setup on a fence row watching the bush. Around 10am I notice a big bird in a tree that wasn't there earlier. Got glasses out and it was a turkey. Raining to hard and at the distance could tell if it had a beard. Looked back 10min later it was gone. 10min after that I shot a tom coming from the same end of bush.