Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Sleeping at Camp

  1. #31
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I've endured quite a few "rustic" camps in my younger days and then the "over crowded cottage" camp but now have the luxury of living at the hunt camp year round. I retired and now rent the property located on a main road, 3 bedroom(4 beds; queen, double, two singles) full bathroom and kitchen upstairs brick house with a "Man Cave" c/w full kitchen and shower/bathroom in the basement and detached two car garage. Fireplace insert in basement with a regular fireplace in living room upstairs. No snoring to worry about now.
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #32
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I remember reading a book many years ago about the old days in the logging and construction camps of northern Ontario. I think it was the Abitibi Canyon diversion project for hydro where this story came from. I guess there was a Frenchie who was a bear of a man and he snored like a D10 dozer. He kept the entire camp up, including the cook and cookee who lived in an adjacent cottage. It was sweltering summer heat, and the bunkhouse was so hot the men were all just sleeping in their gitch. I guess the one Ottawa Valley driller boy had had enough of getting no sleep, so he ran two wires of that Nonel detonation cord along the wall and ran them into a plastic bag of acetylene welding gas that was sealed and taped to the back of the Frenchman's metal bed frame. The other end was attached to a detonator by his bed. Apparently he cranked her over and set off one hell of a bang in the bunkhouse that put the Frenchie right out of bed.
    Last edited by Fenelon; February 4th, 2023 at 10:21 AM.

  4. #33
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    I remember reading a book many years ago about the old days in the logging and construction camps of northern Ontario. I think it was the Abitibi Canyon diversion project for hydro where this story came from. I guess there was a Frenchie who was a bear of a man and he snored like a D10 dozer. He kept the entire camp up, including the cook and cookee who lived in an adjacent cottage. It was sweltering summer heat, and the bunkhouse was so hot the men were all just sleeping in their gitch. I guess the one Ottawa Valley driller boy had had enough of getting no sleep, so he ran two wires of that Nonel detonation cord along the wall and ran them into a plastic bag of acetylene welding gas that was sealed and taped to the back of the Frenchman's metal bed frame. The other end was attached to a detonator by his bed. Apparently he cranked her over and set off one hell of a bang in the bunkhouse that put the Frenchie right out of bed.
    Considering these old timers survived on a steady diet of bacon and beans every single day, the snoring might have been a second place hazard. LOL


    What did loggers eat in the 1800s?



    Holbrook says that for 19th-century loggers in New England and then the Great Lakes, “The fare was pretty much salt pork, beans, bread and molasses, and tea, black tea strong enough to float an ax on.”




    Last edited by Gilroy; February 4th, 2023 at 10:28 AM.

  5. #34
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Iíve been using a CPAP for about 12 years but should have gotten it about 20 years ago. Funny though when guys said that I snored, I was in denial. It wasnít until I started getting really tired in the afternoon (and driving) that I went to a sleep clinic and got a sleep apnea diagnosis. It took me a couple of years to get used to sleeping with a mask over my faceÖ felt like a plunger.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

  6. #35
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    Iíve been using a CPAP for about 12 years but should have gotten it about 20 years ago. Funny though when guys said that I snored, I was in denial. It wasnít until I started getting really tired in the afternoon (and driving) that I went to a sleep clinic and got a sleep apnea diagnosis. It took me a couple of years to get used to sleeping with a mask over my faceÖ felt like a plunger.
    Dentists also offer snore guards. It's molded to your dental imprintsband moves your lower jaw forward a bit, thus opening up the air way during sleep.
    It's not as effective as CPAP, but still less hassle and needs no batteries

    Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

  7. #36
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Snoring is not always a sign of sleep apnea, as apnea will cause you to stop breathing, sometimes for too long (only once though, cause you are dead now). I started waking up in a full body sweat sometimes, and not able to breathe, even when standing up. Hasn't happened since getting the machine. Started with nasal pillows, but after the doc upped my air pressure I started to become a mouth breather in my sleep, so had to go to a mask. I would recommend getting tested to anyone who snores or wakes up covered in sweat, it will prolong your life and save your heart from doing a bunch of extra work it does not have to.
    John

  8. #37
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnjyb View Post
    Snoring is not always a sign of sleep apnea, as apnea will cause you to stop breathing, sometimes for too long (only once though, cause you are dead now). I started waking up in a full body sweat sometimes, and not able to breathe, even when standing up. Hasn't happened since getting the machine. Started with nasal pillows, but after the doc upped my air pressure I started to become a mouth breather in my sleep, so had to go to a mask. I would recommend getting tested to anyone who snores or wakes up covered in sweat, it will prolong your life and save your heart from doing a bunch of extra work it does not have to.
    John
    Excellent advice.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •