Thread: Are mixed breed dogs healthier than purebred dogs?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Are mixed breed dogs healthier than purebred dogs?

Apparently not, according to new research.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...hier-purebreds

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

the math never added up, most mixed breeds are the result of unplanned breeding. No thought went into the lineage, hereditary issues, temperament, may have been some thought about looks.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbelly View Post
    the math never added up, most mixed breeds are the result of unplanned breeding. No thought went into the lineage, hereditary issues, temperament, may have been some thought about looks.
    Mixed breeds are probably outselling pure breds now. Hyphenate the name of the litter of mutts and people will throw money at you. I doubt any type of health due diligence in matching up breeding pairs happens much. Kachinnnng $$$$$.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Good lord this has been discussed before. People will pick whatever suits them ,informed or not.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not everyone has been on here as long as we have Vince. Many want to talk about these topics, let them have a go at it.

Fascinating article with some solid data:

"Some canine diseases known to have genetic basis have been virtually eliminated in purebred dogs but are still sorting their way through mixed breed populations. For example, Beagles were susceptible to a severe anemic disease (pyruvate kinase deficiency), which through careful screening of pedigrees and genetic testing has been completely eliminated in the breed but not in mixed breed dogs. "

Yes, careful breeding does make a difference.
    Last edited by Sharon; June 6th, 2018 at 06:30 PM.