Thread: 2004-2010 F150 Triton engine question

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default 2004-2010 F150 Triton engine question

Crap for some stupid reason I first stuck this in the For Sale section.

2004-2010 F150 Triton

So you guy's who drive Ford F150's School me on the 5.4 Triton engine.

I had my heart set on one of these had to stop looking for a while cause my car went and I had to replace that. But now I'm looking again.

I noticed that many for sale were saying they had the Timing chain replaced and the cam sensors replaced usually between 200 and 250 K. This got me wondering because these components should not be failing that soon. So I started looking into this and seem to have found that this was common in the 5.4 engine is this true it seems that 25% of the trucks I have seen for sale had this replaced.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

So I have the 2010 F250 with 5.4L. Two issues always present with this truck are Manifold bolts, the factory used sub standard bolts which eventually fail causing exhaust leaks. When truck was 3 yrs old Ford replaced both set of bolts on engine block under technical service (no factory recall)..noting that would cause a major failure.

The second issue the timing chain guide blocks (not the timing chain). The were made of plastic and wear out quick, this causes the timing chain to rub on the side of engine block...eventually it could cause damage and leaks from coolant. I only have 124K on truck, and this is becoming an issue for me. This winter I will be taking into "My Guy", and he will be replacing the timing chain, blocks and the Y-Pipe from Manifold to CAT

If you hear louder ticking from a 5.4L, it one of those two items. My buddy has the same make an year truck and has over 280K and has not changed any of the bolts, or blocks... My 2010 still has original exhaust system, including CAT.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Crap Line052 I was hoping you would tell me something different. So I guess I have to go look at GM's again.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Yes, you mean cam phasers, and it wasn't uncommon for them to make the 5.4 sound like a diesel. I had an 05 F150 with the 5.4 and had cam phasers replaced at 150 k km's but they weren't ticking that bad. I had it done while it was still under warranty. My buddy's 06 never had cam phaser issues so it doesn't effect all of them. I also had one spark plug break off in the head. This was common for the 04-2006 5.4's. They redesigned the heads in 07 and breaking plugs became a thing of the past. I also had the right side exhaust manifold start leaking at around 80 k km's. That was fixed but it started ticking/leaking again around 230 k km's. Overall a good truck that never left me stranded but the 5.0 I'm driving now is a much nicer engine.
    Rick

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hey great white, I had a 2007 5.4L, the first issue I had with it was the fan control, only worked on high. Easy fix, cost me about 40$. Then my engine started running rough, turned out to be timing issues, 2 different shops told me this but they wouldn’t fix it, ended up taking it to a Ford dealership. They told me it was the spring tensioner’s for the timing chains, lost there “springiness” and that’s why my engine would feel like it was only running on 4 clys. Ended up costing me 2600$��. Then a leaf spring broke, then my seal went in my tranny..In 1 yr that truck cost me 4k$!!! The last straw was my fan blower going out on me again, traded it in for a dodge and I still owed money on it. I’ll never buy Ford again.