Thread: Scientists find widely used pesticides in Ontario wild turkeys

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Scientists find widely used pesticides in Ontario wild turkeys

"What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

But unsurprising. Nice to see OFAH taking the lead here.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Here we have an identified cause and effect that is impacting our ecosystem negatively, hopefully more funding and action happens.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Pesticides in wildlife,lead shot ban coming,lead fishing lures banned.....major changes will be forthcoming. It's inevitable.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I've heard anecdotal stories from other hunters who said they saw huge flocks of turkeys in fields near where they hunt, only to find that the birds had completely disappeared shortly after planting season. I know that part of this is related to the natural dispersal patterns of turkeys in the spring, but these guys are experienced hunters, so I trust them when they say that the birds were nowhere to be found.

I've also wondered about the fate of geese and turkeys I've seen feasting on pink colored seeds that were spilled in big piles during the planting process. Eating seeds coated with pesticides can't be healthy for these birds. I wonder if there is any real evidence related to the immediate toxicity to the birds in these types of cases (i.e. do they die shortly after eating large quantities of these coated seeds?). I also wonder if there is evidence showing what happens in the long term to the pesticides? Do the pesticides end up in the meat of the birds, or do they stay only in the liver?
    Last edited by rf2; June 21st, 2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: grammar

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Some of the same people who say they go to the states for certain insecticides and weed killer, because it is banned in Canada would be the same ones complaining about chemicals in wild game. Go figure.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Turkeys will eat seed right out of the fields. Seed coatings are still way safer than using foliar sprays.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    I've heard anecdotal stories from other hunters who said they saw huge flocks of turkeys in fields near where they hunt, only to find that the birds had completely disappeared shortly after planting season. I know that part of this is related to the natural dispersal patterns of turkeys in the spring, but these guys are experienced hunters, so I trust them when they say that the birds were nowhere to be found.

I've also wondered about the fate of geese and turkeys I've seen feasting on pink colored seeds that were spilled in big piles during the planting process. Eating seeds coated with pesticides can't be healthy for these birds. I wonder if there is any real evidence related to the immediate toxicity to the birds in these types of cases (i.e. do they die shortly after eating large quantities of these coated seeds?). I also wonder if there is evidence showing what happens in the long term to the pesticides? Do the pesticides end up in the meat of the birds, or do they stay only in the liver?
    A friends bush, used to have anywhere from 24 to 30 turkeys in it for quite a few years, the last 4 years there has not been a single bird seen in the vicinity.
    The same could be said for geese which I hunted there regularly on his corn fields for a number of years, I was the only one that hunted there, so it was not over hunted. The crops are the same, corn and or soy beans alternated, nothing has really changed other than there are no birds there to hunt, ???? why , unexplainable , maybe the geese and turkeys know something about the grain there that we don,t ???

One thing I do know is that the farmer who puts in the crops on my friends place , [ 2oo plus acres worth ] he is a fervent believer in Neonicotinoid treated seeds, and now where I hunt , that man is strictly growing Organic corn and soy beans and that's where the turkeys and geese are now, go figure .
    Last edited by jaycee; June 21st, 2018 at 01:27 PM.