Thread: Looking to get into small game! (squirrels, rabbit, hare,) & Coyote

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Looking to get into small game! (squirrels, rabbit, hare,) & Coyote

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm a novice hunter, with just 2 years experience hunting Turkey and Deer (I'm located in SW ontario, GTA). I drank the kool-aid and all I can think about & read about & dream about is being outside, and hunting some game.

I'm really interested in learning more about small game hunting but don't know where to start.
    Am looking for any advice for areas that come Sept 15. I can hit up and start to learn the craft and from some experienced hunters that are looking to share their knowledge to a young(ish) and passionate new hunter.

Also interested in coyote. But stoked for Rabbit and Squirrel!
    Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm great company and always appreciative of the hunting community which has been so helpful in my quest to learn and be a better outdoorsman.

Dave

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well I don't get down to the Big Smoke much and have never hunted in SW Ontario, but if your ever in Ottawa there are a bunch of us the go for a Breakfast together a few times during the fall and winter and your welcome to join us after breakfast some of us go out for rabbits.

Welcome to the site
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Apprentice

User Info Menu

where abouts in the GTA?
    how far will you travel?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

You will have a tough time find legal and huntable land in your area without travel. Lots GTA'ish people on the forum, hopefully someone can help you out. If your ever up this area (Ottawa), I run hunt mentoring camps (free) all fall for small game and waterfowl. Had a couple of guys come down from Markham last year to learn. Spent the weekend in one of my tents.

The camps I run are on Public Land (inside Ottawa) which is free to use.
    Mark Snow, Libertarian Nepean, for 2019, Chairman - Ontario Libertarian Party

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks! I travel anywhere from 1-6 hours from the GTA for hunting opportunities. I'm often in Ottawa visiting family who live in the city. Thank's for the invite, I will most certainly take you up on that at least one of those sundays! Sounds like a hoot.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I'm game for travelling pretty far for hunting. I already travel up to 2.5-3 hours for good deer hunting so it's nothing new to me. Obviously closer to home is better, but the closest I've found is about 1.5 hours from the CIty and it's a mix of public and private land. I'm up for some travel

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Oh wow. That would be fantastic. Small game and waterfowl? Exactly what i'm looking at getting into.
    Would love to take you up on that. Send me whatever info you have, I'm down.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I will post the same article I did last year. Here is the thread from that post.
    https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...tawa+mentoring

Quote Originally Posted by newhunter81 View Post
    Oh wow. That would be fantastic. Small game and waterfowl? Exactly what i'm looking at getting into.
    Would love to take you up on that. Send me whatever info you have, I'm down.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Here is thread article explaining camp routine.

https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...firearm+ottawa