Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Problem in Canmore

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Rabbit Problem in Canmore

https://nationalpost.com/news/expens...own-of-canmore

1200 rabbits culled at the price tag of $400 000 is roughly $333 per rabbit. Sounds like expensive meat.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Here is an idea....how about we issue 100 special Air Rifle only Rabbit tags for about $75 to anyone that is a licensed hunter and has completed our $250 course.

I know that is only $3250, but that is 3250 going into the bank not 400,000 coming out.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Waste, waste, waste, waste.. waste. That's politicians for you. The ONLY way to solve a problem is to spend.

I like Snowwalker's idea.
    -
    "Ignorance is okay and it can be remedied by knowledge and research. But stupidity is guarding your ignorance." - Ted Nugent

User Info Menu

I don't think you need a special course for current hunters. Just have a cull with air rifles and charge hunters a municipal license to hunt the rabbits and you should be good to go. But I would be ok with Snow's idea too.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The course would be just for liability issues, and to cover some do's and Don'ts.
    I am sure we would all agree being licensed does not mean we are experts. There could also be the option to allow the hunters with the permits to be accompanied by an apprentice under the age of 18.

Just to add. Since the best time for rabbit would be at first and last light, the town could limit shooting time from a half hour before sun rise to two and half hours after sun rise( 3 hours) in the morning and two and a half hours before sunset to a half hour after sunset ( 3 hours).

The number of people in the large green area would be minimal, so there should be fewer conflicts.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; July 18th, 2018 at 10:09 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    I don't think you need a special course for current hunters. Just have a cull with air rifles and charge hunters a municipal license to hunt the rabbits and you should be good to go. But I would be ok with Snow's idea too.
    How versed are you on Air Rifle types, Ballistics, and the limits placed of the shooter to make ethical kills.

It takes 6 ft/lb of energy to kill a cotton tail with a pellet to the head or chest(heart and lungs), but a larger hare or Jack Rabbit takes 6 ft/lb for a head shot, but up to 14 Ft/lb in the chest.

Since head shots are all ways going to be the most effective and ethical shots, shot placement is very important. Anatomy plays a big part in your point of aim. Too high and your pellet may skip across the top of the skull, too low and your pellet may only break the jaw or create a non-lethal wound through the neck..

Dyth, you would likely have known that, or would take the time to learn. So I guess my suggestion of a course is to keep idiots from running around with sub 490FPS Air rifles leaving wounded rabbits everywhere, more then the idea that licensed hunters would not know what they are doing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    How versed are you on Air Rifle types, Ballistics, and the limits placed of the shooter to make ethical kills.

It takes 6 ft/lb of energy to kill a cotton tail with a pellet to the head or chest(heart and lungs), but a larger hare or Jack Rabbit takes 6 ft/lb for a head shot, but up to 14 Ft/lb in the chest.

Since head shots are all ways going to be the most effective and ethical shots, shot placement is very important. Anatomy plays a big part in your point of aim. Too high and your pellet may skip across the top of the skull, too low and your pellet may only break the jaw or create a non-lethal wound through the neck..

Dyth, you would likely have known that, or would take the time to learn. So I guess my suggestion of a course is to keep idiots from running around with sub 490FPS Air rifles leaving wounded rabbits everywhere, more then the idea that licensed hunters would not know what they are doing.
    I can confess that I don't know too much about air rifles as I haven't used them for years. You do have two good points. I think those points can be addressed by having a shooting proficiency condition as part of getting the license and a minimum feet/sec on all air rifles used (subject to law enforcement inspection) rather than a full blown course. I don't think a course for ethical/safety is necessary as all persons subject to this cull would have to have passed Alberta's hunting course. However, I think you and I are debating very minor points to this solution. The biggest problem is the fact the government is paying way too much ($333 per bunny) to have this problem fixed when a better solution exists. We could also have a condition on the license that the rabbit meat can be donated to a local church soup kitchen or food bank (if that is allowed in Alberta).

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    I can confess that I don't know too much about air rifles as I haven't used them for years. You do have two good points. I think those points can be addressed by having a shooting proficiency condition as part of getting the license and a minimum feet/sec on all air rifles used (subject to law enforcement inspection) rather than a full blown course. I don't think a course for ethical/safety is necessary as all persons subject to this cull would have to have passed Alberta's hunting course. However, I think you and I are debating very minor points to this solution. The biggest problem is the fact the government is paying way too much ($333 per bunny) to have this problem fixed when a better solution exists. We could also have a condition on the license that the rabbit meat can be donated to a local church soup kitchen or food bank (if that is allowed in Alberta).
    Yes they are small things to you, me and 90% of everyone else. On the other hand the small stuff can be the biggest problem. They have to be able to say they are being very carefull and safe.

A short orientation type course with skill proficiency tests. Just to cover basic Air Rifle quirks, like how Spring and Piston powered Rifles have a double recoil. Also to be sure there is no question about where hunters can and can not shoot.

I mean if I am a golf course owner/manager, you are going to hunt the course. But there maybe places that the city has to not allow it just to keep the peace.

Yes you are right that it does not have to be a major course, but there should be something so that it does not look like the wild west in the city parks.

Thing is 70 to 80% of the shooting would not be in the main areas of the parks. The pathways and edges of parks and green spaces.

Oh ya I forgot...Donate the meat..100% agree on that one.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Rookies compared to the New Zealand Easter bunny hunts.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2602059/o...er-bunny-hunt/

This is probably the best way to cull problems rabbits and might be the safest way,of course you would have to change some regulations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaVkdhKXkjQ

The waste of rabbit meat is terrible as they regularly sell in my local Loblaws for $22.00 a rabbit.The Germans are huge consumers of rabbit meat (41,000 tons in 2015 ) ,our,s and New Zealands should be frozen and shipped over there,might even make money.Right now the Germans are getting a lot of their bunnies from CHINA, I bet they are well raised LOL
    Last edited by Gilroy; July 29th, 2018 at 12:07 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I maybe wrong, but I seem to remember ferreting being legal somewhere out west. Saskatchewan I think, which doesn't help in Alberta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast