Thread: Charleston Lake Ont

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Charleston Lake Ont

Going to spend a week at a cottage on Charleston Lake , middle of July. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Don't want your secret spots, prefer to make my own. Just stuff to watch out for. Even where to fill the boat with gas etc. would be appreciated.
    Taking all the grandkids with us and my 4 year old grandaughter is constantly chattering about 'catching lots of fish LOL. Going to be staying in the North west corner.....I think. Do lures work or am I best to use live bait. Funny how each lake differs!
    This will be our first time NOT going to the Kawarthas in 26years!! Kind of excited to try someplace new but also a little bittersweet as we have many fond memories from Kawarthas
    Any help much appreciated
    Mike

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

It's safe to say you won't be disappointed with Charleston as it is a gorgeous lake. It's deep and rocky with lots of structure and islands. Not a lot of weeds, except some of the bays and one large main lake bed across Big Water. It reminds me of more northern shield lakes and as it just so happens it is actually is a southern extension of the shield that juts down to the Larry. Plus there's always areas to get out of the wind.
    From what you said I'm assuming you cottage is in Webster Bay. That whole west shoreline of the lake is well protected. The town of Charleston has two main launches, at least two marinas with service, gas, bait, tackle etc. It's a shorter drive, but still a nice tour boat ride, you can check out Fosters Bay on the way for fishing with kids, it has a creek running in. The other main creeks are on the other side of the lake.
    Without knowing what you have for a boating setup, it's harder to comment, as well, is it more of kids thing , or are you hoping to fit in some serious fishing for Bass or Lakers even?
    Here's the Avionics link https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...ol_oG%60g%7DnM
    The PP has a good network of hiking trails, http://www.friendsofcharlestonlakepark.com/trails.html

Here's a map I came across a while back, it's pretty neat, nothing like hand drawn...
    CharlestonMap4.jpg

Cheers

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Smitty,
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
    Won't be doing any "serious" fishing as we have all 10 Grandkids along. All 5 and under!!! Just want to get them into some perch, panfish maybe even some bass.
    You are correct about Webster Bay. I have a 16' DC runabout with a 75hp Merc so distance should not be a problem,, just have to watch out for "shallow hazards"etc.
    Thanks for the links. Appreciate the assistance. Will be sure to "pay it forward" when the chance arrives.
    Mike

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Hey no problem Mike, happy to help out. Wow, 10 kids under 6, I'd say you have your "work" cut out for you. How many adults? With that many kids you'll have to do two tours a day hehe. Make sure you have all the right sized pfd's for their weights on each run.
    So back to weedy areas, which are likely your best bet to get some panfish for the kids. I mentioned Fosters bay, the next small bay is at the second launch in town at the end of Water street and has lots of weeds. Then on the East shore of the lake there is Beales creek and Leaders creek. There is also that large main lake weedbed across Big Water that runs between Flat Island and Crozier/Rabbit but if the wind is up it can be choppy there. In between Crozier and Wolf looks promising too but I don't know if there are weeds there, I've only trolled Eastern Water for Lakers. I know I've seen plenty of panfish around the docks at Lakeline Lodge too, but that was earlier June. There is a decent Crappie population there too, but it's a spring thing mostly, and some ice fishing too.
    Most hazards are well marked on the lake. There are two named Rocks in Big Water, Babcocks and Englishmans to the north. You'll see them marked on this map I'll attach but not on others, even the avionics only shows Babcocks as a hazard. It mostly depends on the year and time of season. Some years you can drive right over them. And I can't say for sure that they are marked, it might be an idea to contact the lake association for more info at http://www.charlestonlakeassociation.ca/home or even Lakeline Lodge, They're good folks. I've rented cottages through them before as well. Also your new neighbours could be a good help. Plus you really should get out on one initial cruise without the gang to familiarize yourself with the layout, and you know get the kinks out and relax into cottage mode with a gang like that, specially being so young. Good for you.

This map I believe was available way back through the lake association, I know it's posted on many a cottage wall around the lake. It's really well done, hand sketched in 1899. I've marked in red that large main lake weedbed.
    CharlestonMap1 (2).jpg

Cheers

Elite Member

User Info Menu

This will be a better size for the map. Enjoy your trip.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

We are just down the road from Charleston Lake and go there at least two times each season. We launch at Charleston Marina and it is free. The bay in and around the Marina is always good for panfish. Further out of bay we heard about the trout in deeper water in the summer. Many times we have marked fish deep and tried everything (not being dedicated trout fishermen), and no luck. I would suggest to be aware of wind reports as it can get quite rough out there. Even with our 22 ft Pontoon is gets rough. Many small bays for drop shotting the walls for bass, have had some good luck and found some off the way sand beaches for lunch.

Some of the islands like Deer Island have trails, we found a beachable area to have lunch and the kids got to check out the trails, nice break from the water.

Its a big lake, and if you have GPS with charts we have never had problems getting around. But friends of ours didn't and got turned around spent a couple hours just trying to find way back, so have a good map if you don't have GPS or cell phone with data (they didn't)
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Just starting out

User Info Menu

THANK YOU to all!! Very much appreciated. There will 18 of us in total,8 adults and 10 little ones!! BUSY but I LOVE it!!
    Mike

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Nice map ....Great