Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing brand new downfilled camo

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Washing brand new downfilled camo

ADVERTISEMENT
    Just purchased a new outfit of Cabelas Instinct downfilled jacket and pants ...how does everyone wash/dry their brand new downfill camo fresh out of the store?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dano19 View Post
    Just purchased a new outfit of Cabelas Instinct downfilled jacket and pants ...how does everyone wash/dry their brand new downfill camo fresh out of the store?
    New and washed clothes are covered with brightener. The brighteners glow in the UV that deer and other animals can see . There are products to remove the brighteners, but if you wash them in soap that reapplies brighteners your back to square one.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Baking Soda
    It will help to cut that new smell

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Sport Wash all the way. I've been using it for a long time. Recommended for modern synthetics and down. It rinses totally clear and contains no brighteners. I run a regular load or two of laundry through the machine first to remove any brighteners. For down clothing when finishing in the dryer usually some sort of fluffer is added to the machine like a small clean sneaker or teething ring or you can actually buy them. http://www.atsko.com/sport-wash-laun...64-wash-loads/

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Tennis balls..

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I hang my deer hunting clothes in the wood shed for a month before bow season opens and keep them there throughout the season so the garage smells don't get into them. Not sure about the brighteners my stuff is all old. Good luck.
    Paul

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paultracy View Post
    I hang my deer hunting clothes in the wood shed for a month before bow season opens and keep them there throughout the season so the garage smells don't get into them. Not sure about the brighteners my stuff is all old. Good luck.
    Paul
    If you wash them, and the laundry soap has brighteners in it, or the washer and dryer( yup bounce sheets have brighteners too) has not been cleaned out your camo's will get coated in them. No matter how old the clothes are. It's very hard to find laundry soap without brighteners and even if you do find it, one load in the washer with another soap or a bounce sheet in the dryer will contaminate the washer/dryer for a few loads.
    Even if you hand wash and use dish soap, there is brighteners in dish soap.

With the use of nightvision equipment or a quality black light, the brighteners can be seen in a dark room.

Remember at the school dance when the girls walked through the black lights and their "under garments" would shine through their clothes?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Washing your down filled camo could ruin it for insulation properties. Check the label for how to clean.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I use UV Killer on new clothing and then nothing but sportwash after. http://www.atsko.com/u-v-killer-sport-wash-combo/

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks for replies guys
    I have UV-free detergent..I understand brightness...I should have re-phrased my question. I'm more concerned about the downfilled material in the clothing and the washing and drying of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast