Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Area Mentoring, Small Game, Deer and Ducks 2018

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    I do have to say, Snowalker is the real deal and is exceptionally well equipped (for hunting). A very generous guest, who brought along his own Chef...who was attacked late Saturday night, by my 88lbs boxer jumping down from top of bunk..right on top of him while sleeping.
    I agree, it was a good call on Snowalker' side. Having a Chef prepare all the sausages and the boar was a particular treat! The meat came out just perfect.

And even though we didn't get to see 1000's of geese, it was a great weekend with an amazing group of people and a whole bunch of mentoring. 100% would do it again once the ducks open!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

No problem on not letting me know there were no geese. I didn't get in touch either.

It was nice to hang out and shoot the breeze while enjoying some coffee.

I did mean to ask you about cleaning the birds though. Do you pluck or skin them there or take them home at the end of the day/weekend and do it?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    I do have to say, Snowalker is the real deal and is exceptionally well equipped (for hunting). A very generous guest, who brought along his own Chef...who was attacked late Saturday night, by my 88lbs boxer jumping down from top of bunk..right on top of him while sleeping.
    Thanks for the kind words....best part of the weekend was just being around others that want to learn and exchange ideas.

I hope Alex is not hurting too bad from the midnight attack. He is still recovering from a major accident on his bike. He is a lot stronger now then he was on the trip last year.

Hope to drag him out to a few more this year.

Maybe you should just have him plan the menu.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Watching the weather. Maybe Florence will push a pile of rain up here and the ponds will refill. Hey ya got to have a dream.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Best bet is bring them home whole. If we are eating onsite, then breast and legs for geese. Breast for geese, I slice into strips and soak in milk to draw the blood out. Then fry up in a stir fry, depending on cooler temp, you can marinate and eat at supper same night in camp. Duck, peppercorn red wine reduction for breasts, yum yum. Could go on a late Chanterelle and make a mushroom gravy for duck breast with fresh oregano, topped with fresh parsley all picked locally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa_Rob View Post
    No problem on not letting me know there were no geese. I didn't get in touch either.

It was nice to hang out and shoot the breeze while enjoying some coffee.

I did mean to ask you about cleaning the birds though. Do you pluck or skin them there or take them home at the end of the day/weekend and do it?
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I want to thank Snowwalker for being patient and providing transportation and much of the gear for me. He has been the very first person to take me out hunting from this forum, and i'm glad that a few years down the road he still is tolerating me and my behaviour, and doesn't mind making a detour to pick me up.

Line052, thank you for being a fantastic host. You kept everyone entertained, and engaged despite lacking birds. You were providing valuable information and coaching. It really shows that you are trying to build a community, and are more then willing to provide mentorship. I respect that, thank you for doing this. I am also super pleased that Snowwalker was able to arrange me joining you all even with the last minute notice. I had fun cooking all the meat, but i think you highly exaggerate my abilities. Also, i have yet to shoot an actual goose, so i'm looking forward to learning how to cook 'em .
    Everyone who showed up was really great, and brought something to the table: literally and figuratively.

I had a fantastic time. Let's do this again. I'm hoping i can come out to the duck opener, if there is a ride from Toronto. That spot seems like it would be productive for that. And let's hope that the water levels come up.

It has been a great pleasure to meet many people from this forum in person, and share some stories around the fire.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Got one bird this morning. Very few birds are flying.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    Got one bird this morning. Very few birds are flying.
    Were you shooting birds? Walked down to lake shore dr?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

That pass shooting spot that Chris showed us.
    There were 5 more hunters, most showed up ... about 30 minutes after the sunrise. Nothing was flying after.

Also, i need a call. Any recommendations?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    That pass shooting spot that Chris showed us.
    There were 5 more hunters, most showed up ... about 30 minutes after the sunrise. Nothing was flying after.

Also, i need a call. Any recommendations?
    One that works......for you. Not me, not the sales guy...you. And go out and learn from the birds, watch the dvd but listen and learn from the birds.