Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Area Mentoring, Small Game, Deer and Ducks 2018

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I’ve got everything except the rubber boots.

I’ll be out for the Sunday morning goose hunt.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa_Rob View Post
    I’ve got everything except the rubber boots.

I’ll be out for the Sunday morning goose hunt.
    We will have shot them all by then...
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I hope not! All I need is one or two for my start back into hunting.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa_Rob View Post
    I hope not! All I need is one or two for my start back into hunting.
    So Rob.....did you get your one or two to start back into hunting?

Like I always say. You can always learn from someone, does not matter if they do it the right way or the wrong way. You will still learn something, even it is NOT what to do.

And Never believe a politician.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    We will have shot them all by then...
    The "Big Question Is " did you get any ?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    The "Big Question Is " did you get any ?
    Ask mark...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Well the worst early goose yet (let me rephrase that...NONE), pretty boring when waiting for the fly out and fly, and nothing shows up. FIrst time in 5 seasons no geese in the back pond overnighting, always was a sure thing. Fri Eve, Sat morn, Sat night...nothing. SO bad we decided not to go Sunday morning, with no flights overnighting there would no fly out in morning.

Sunday morning we slept in and Poor Ottawa Rob showed up at 0530 to a full cmap asleep...(Sorry ROb, for not texting). Now that being said, just after a big breakfast we finally had an overflight..that had we been on the pond those with long reach could have taken a 40 yrd shot. Then we had a single lone goose fly over camp..two shots and did not down it.

Got out for a lesser coyote hunt as one of the best spots I go had a Dad in the field with kids on dirt bikes, so we tried a smaller area with an unsuccessful Yote/Crow hunt.

SO disappointing results, but not to be taken as a bad thing, as they do call it hunting ...not catching..lol. (Best save face statement I can come up with)

But, truth be told the camp ran well, and the new people that came out for the first time, got chat with fellow hunters and learn how it everything was done (without taking a shot). The new hunters got to learn, got to experience a camp, sleep in a tent or cars, experience camp life. The camp routine was awesome at meal time, with everyone helping and bring a food to table and many good laughs were shared to make up for lack of geese.

So despite a disappointing shoot for geese, it was a good learning experience for new hunters and will only get better when duck open (lots of them all weekend).

Camp suppers were a blast, along with camp life with everyone helping out. It can only go up from here.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

User Info Menu

Well the worst early goose yet (let me rephrase that...NONE), pretty boring when waiting for the fly out and fly, and nothing shows up. FIrst time in 5 seasons no geese in the back pond overnighting, always was a sure thing. Fri Eve, Sat morn, Sat night...nothing. SO bad we decided not to go Sunday morning, with no flights overnighting there would no fly out in morning.

Sunday morning we slept in and Poor Ottawa Rob showed up at 0530 to a full cmap asleep...(Sorry ROb, for not texting). Now that being said, just after a big breakfast we finally had an overflight..that had we been on the pond those with long reach could have taken a 40 yrd shot. Then we had a single lone goose fly over camp..two shots and did not down it.

Got out for a lesser coyote hunt as one of the best spots I go had a Dad in the field with kids on dirt bikes, so we tried a smaller area with an unsuccessful Yote/Crow hunt.

SO disappointing results, but not to be taken as a bad thing, as they do call it hunting ...not catching..lol. (Best save face statement I can come up with)

But, truth be told the camp ran well, and the new people that came out for the first time, got chat with fellow hunters and learn how it everything was done (without taking a shot). The new hunters got to learn, got to experience a camp, sleep in a tent or cars, experience camp life. The camp routine was awesome at meal time, with everyone helping and bring a food to table and many good laughs were shared to make up for lack of geese.

So despite a disappointing shoot for geese, it was a good learning experience for new hunters and will only get better when duck open (lots of them all weekend).

Camp suppers were a blast, along with camp life with everyone helping out. It can only go up from here.

User Info Menu

I do have to say, Snowalker is the real deal and is exceptionally well equipped (for hunting). A very generous guest, who brought along his own Chef...who was attacked late Saturday night, by my 88lbs boxer jumping down from top of bunk..right on top of him while sleeping.

User Info Menu

While out for the first spot for coyote...and so typical...we came across 3 grouse 20 yards away from us on a road. Figures not open...

The food cover is still good despite the dry conditions, so should be a good season for grouse.