Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Shortbed truck carrying quad

  1. #1
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default Shortbed truck carrying quad

    ADVERTISEMENT
    Just purchased a quad. Now I have the problem of the rear tires riding on the end of the tailgate. Ive searched the DG support brackets and another type called the guard dog. Just wondering what fellow members do in this case. I do not wish to trust the strength of the factory cables. Cheers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I just strap all 4 corners and drive

  4. #3
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    On the weekend I heard of ramps that you put in the bed that you drive up with front wheels it brings down the back end allowing the quad to be put with tailgate shut. The guy that was telling me about them had made ramps out of 2X10 to do the same thing, so he could haul his big camper and bring his quad. Worked real slick for him. He didn't want to spend the 400 to buy the aluminum factor ramps. Try google I have forgotten the name of them.. My old quad has all 4 wheels in bed, barely, if I buy new will have to look into these, as I don't want to have to trust the 2 lines to hold the weight or have to buy different truck with long bed.

    Had to go google. So they are called risers several different makes or can make yourself. May not still be able to close tailgate but def get wheels in bed. Here is one link, there are others. This is just an example as I have not seen a store bought one, but the hand made one worked pretty good.

    https://www.cross-trax.com/ATVHeight...ableRisers.htm
    Last edited by sabmgb; July 10th, 2018 at 01:58 PM.

  5. #4
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    On the weekend I heard of ramps that you put in the bed that you drive up with front wheels it brings down the back end allowing the quad to be put with tailgate shut. The guy that was telling me about them had made ramps out of 2X10 to do the same thing, so he could haul his big camper and bring his quad. Worked real slick for him. He didn't want to spend the 400 to buy the aluminum factor ramps. Try google I have forgotten the name of them.. My old quad has all 4 wheels in bed, barely, if I buy new will have to look into these, as I don't want to have to trust the 2 lines to hold the weight or have to buy different truck with long bed.

    Had to go google. So they are called risers several different makes or can make yourself. May not still be able to close tailgate but def get wheels in bed. Here is one link, there are others. This is just an example as I have not seen a store bought one, but the hand made one worked pretty good.

    https://www.cross-trax.com/ATVHeight...ableRisers.htm
    I was thinking of that actually. I have a fold up hard cover that i lose about 8 inches of clearing when its open.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I copied the design of the Louisiana guard dog and made my own. Worked quite well.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

  7. #6
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Honestly I really don't get the big deal about having to close the tail gate? Mine overhangs onto it, a couple good tie downs to cinch it in and it has travelled likely thousands of kilometres into the bush and back with no issues. Slide the aluminum loading ramps under it and you're good to go. That raised setup looks like a busted rear window waiting to happen. I put an empty hardwood pallet between the front of the bike and rear of cab so no busted rear windows.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  8. #7
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Honestly I really don't get the big deal about having to close the tail gate? Mine overhangs onto it, a couple good tie downs to cinch it in and it has travelled likely thousands of kilometres into the bush and back with no issues. Slide the aluminum loading ramps under it and you're good to go. That raised setup looks like a busted rear window waiting to happen. I put an empty hardwood pallet between the front of the bike and rear of cab so no busted rear windows.
    I agree! Unless you're pulling a trailer and need the clearance, there's no issue with the bike rear tires resting on the tailgate. Check the cables? if they're in good shape, no problem.
    What does the bike weigh? 5-600 lbs? So half that weight would be on the tailgate? You might be over thinking it Goosesniper?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  9. #8
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Honestly I really don't get the big deal about having to close the tail gate? Mine overhangs onto it, a couple good tie downs to cinch it in and it has travelled likely thousands of kilometres into the bush and back with no issues. Slide the aluminum loading ramps under it and you're good to go. That raised setup looks like a busted rear window waiting to happen. I put an empty hardwood pallet between the front of the bike and rear of cab so no busted rear windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    I agree! Unless you're pulling a trailer and need the clearance, there's no issue with the bike rear tires resting on the tailgate. Check the cables? if they're in good shape, no problem.
    What does the bike weigh? 5-600 lbs? So half that weight would be on the tailgate? You might be over thinking it Goosesniper?
    x3, you can probably lift the entire truck, with you bike in the back, off those two cables.

  10. #9
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Honestly I really don't get the big deal about having to close the tail gate? Mine overhangs onto it, a couple good tie downs to cinch it in and it has travelled likely thousands of kilometres into the bush and back with no issues. Slide the aluminum loading ramps under it and you're good to go. That raised setup looks like a busted rear window waiting to happen. I put an empty hardwood pallet between the front of the bike and rear of cab so no busted rear windows.
    Agreed. But Ive read some stories of the cables letting go and it ruins the gate. One year left on my lease. I think I will spend the $100 and get the dg brackets.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    On the weekend I heard of ramps that you put in the bed that you drive up with front wheels it brings down the back end allowing the quad to be put with tailgate shut. The guy that was telling me about them had made ramps out of 2X10 to do the same thing, so he could haul his big camper and bring his quad. Worked real slick for him. He didn't want to spend the 400 to buy the aluminum factor ramps. Try google I have forgotten the name of them.. My old quad has all 4 wheels in bed, barely, if I buy new will have to look into these, as I don't want to have to trust the 2 lines to hold the weight or have to buy different truck with long bed.

    Had to go google. So they are called risers several different makes or can make yourself. May not still be able to close tailgate but def get wheels in bed. Here is one link, there are others. This is just an example as I have not seen a store bought one, but the hand made one worked pretty good.

    https://www.cross-trax.com/ATVHeight...ableRisers.htm
    I would be more concerned about the front section of the box being damaged with the weight of the bike pushing against it using those ramps. Seems like it doesn't fix a problem, only moves it from the back to the front. They dont build truck boxes like they used to. The tailgate is the only part designed to support very much weight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •